Place Category: History of NH and Self-Guided ToursPlace Tags: buildings, First Church of Christ, historical, historical buildings in concord, history, new hampshire, nh, NH State House, NH State House Annex, Norris Bakery, places, Sacred Heart Church, Scientist, Sears Roebuck Department Store, and South Congregational Church
Historic Buildings of Concord New Hampshire
Concord, the capitol of the state of New Hampshire is rich in history dating back to the early 1700’s. Main Street in Concord was created in 1726. It is about this time that Concord’s history as an economic center of New Hampshire began to take shape and New Hampshire’s economic base was formed. Below, we have outlined some of the historical places in Concord NH:
NH State House
In 1808 Concord was chosen for the capitol of New Hampshire due to it’s central location within the state of New Hampshire. The construction of the New Hampshire State House was completed in 1819. The state house was designed by architect Stuart Park. When the state house was built, it was 2 stories high, built from granite mined right here in New Hampshire by prisoners housed at the NH state prison. The NH state house was expanded and it’s dome was added in 1866. The state house was expanded again in 1910 by adding a 3rd story and West wing.
NH State House Annex
The NH State House Annex was built in the late 1930’s to accommodate the rapidly growing size of the NH state government.
The Norris Bakery building at 16-18 S. Main St. was used from the 1860’s until the 1920’s. The bakery was believed to be among the largest bakeries in the state of New Hampshire. Norris Bakery delivered bread to the military camps by horse and wagon. The bakery was later turned into a movie theater in the 1930’s and it remained a theater until 1994.
Sears Roebuck Department Store
Sears Roebuck was located at 19 S. Main St in Concord and claimed to be the largest department store in the state of New Hampshire.
First Church of Christ, Scientist
The First Church of Christ, Scientist is located on the corner of North State St and School St in Concord NH. The church is currently the tallest building in Concord. It’s 165 foot steeple towers over the city of Concord. The building is built from granite from a nearby granite quarry in Concord. This church was founded by the famous Mary Baker Eddy who donated $100,000.00 towards to the construction of the church. Photo credit: First Church of Christ, Scientist Concord NH
South Congregational Church
The South Congregational Church is located at 27 Pleasant St in Concord, NH. The church was designed by the minister’s brother (Charles Parker). The cross on the steeple of the church was the focus of controversy for many years as it was seen as a symbol of the Roman Catholic faith.
Sacred Heart Church
The Sacred Heart Church is located at 52 Pleasant St in Concord, NH. The house next to the church at 54 Pleasant St was purchased to be used as the church’s rectory.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.