1937, residents of Hill Village NH learned that their village, near the
Pemigewasset River, was to become a flood control reservoir for the Franklin
Falls dam project. To accommodate the construction of the Franklin Falls Dam,
the village of Hill NH was to be relocated. By January of 1940, the citizens of
Hill NH formed an association, purchased land, and began planning a new model
village with the help of the NH State Planning and Development Commission.
Construction started in 1940, and by June of 1941 the new town hall and school
were completed, along with the streets, water system, and 30 houses. The 1941
town meeting was called to order in the old town hall, recessed, and reconvened
in the new village.
Today, we are left with the history
and remains of Hill Village New Hampshire. A town that is now
frozen in time just as it was left in 1941. The Old Hill Village
is said to be haunted but we have not had the chance to
investigate Old Hill Village yet.
The state has done a lot of work
preserving the old Hill Village. Below are some current images
of where the original Hill Village town was located.
Location of the Old Hill Village Elementary School
An old road in Old Hill Village
Needleshop Brook Recreation Area
Map of Franklin Falls Reservoir which was once the
town of Hill Village, NH
An old foundation and stairs leaves an eerie imprint on the
landscape of Hill Village
Hill Center Rd in Hill Village
Former location of the town Cemetery at Hill Village
Old bridge remains in Old Hill Village, New Hampshire
And that's how you move an entire town, buildings, schools, farms,
bridges and even the cemetery of Hill Village, NH
NH Tour Guide's History & Genealogy Forum