Untitled 1

Thread: Mt. Washington Snow Cat | Mt Washington Auto Road Questions

Unregistered

Mt. Washington Snow Cat | Mt Washington Auto Road Questions

Does anyone know if the Mount Washington snow cats are available to the public or is that just for the Mt Washington observatory staff to use?

Would love to ride one of those snowcats up the mountain!!

I believe the snow cats are for staff use, I could be wrong but I don't believe you can hitch a ride on one of those.

You can get on a Snow Coach though. This is the 9 passenger vans from Great Glen Trails that has been converted to a 4 wheel drive track system.

From the Mount Washington Auto Road website:

"SnowCoach tours are approximately 1¼ hour long and depart daily from December through March from Great Glen Trails base lodge at the base of Mt. Washington on a first come, first served basis. Operating hours are approximately 8:30 am to 3:30 pm, depending on weather and snow conditions.

The cost for this winter sightseeing experience is $45 for adults and $30 for children ages 5-12. Advance reservations are not available due to unpredictable weather and snow conditions."

Sounds like a great experience... good luck!!!!
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Unregistered

Re: Mt. Washington Snow Cat | Mt Washington Auto Road Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Does anyone know if the Mount Washington snow cats are available to the public or is that just for the Mt Washington observatory staff to use?

Would love to ride one of those snowcats up the mountain!!
    I've taken the ride up the auto road in the winter and its lots of fun...in fact, the day my wife and I headed up...the radios were not working for some reason...and we met the snow cat coming down " SURPRISE " ....we had to back up, being the smaller of the two vehicles, to a place where we could move over to let the relieved weather crew and driver by us...

The day we went, our trip ended just above the tree line because of the wind....the treads on the vehicle we were in are made to go up and down and not " side to side "....so with the high winds, there was a threat that we would be blown off the side of the mountain... we were allowed to exit the vehicle for a short period and witness first hand the force of the wind...and then headed down..A really great trip !

There is a picture in the Mount Washington picture gallery www.mountwashington.org...I think it was back in 2001, 2002, or 2003...where we had the " cornfield " meet going up the mountain....Very unique, after taking the picture from the back seat I noticed, ...It shows the inside of our vehicle, the snowcat, immediately in front of us...and a reflection of my wife and I in the back seat taking the picture, from the rearview mirror in our vehicle...

Re: Mt. Washington Snow Cat | Mt Washington Auto Road Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I've taken the ride up the auto road in the winter and its lots of fun...in fact, the day my wife and I headed up...the radios were not working for some reason...and we met the snow cat coming down " SURPRISE " ....we had to back up, being the smaller of the two vehicles, to a place where we could move over to let the relieved weather crew and driver by us...

The day we went, our trip ended just above the tree line because of the wind....the treads on the vehicle we were in are made to go up and down and not " side to side "....so with the high winds, there was a threat that we would be blown off the side of the mountain... we were allowed to exit the vehicle for a short period and witness first hand the force of the wind...and then headed down..A really great trip !

There is a picture in the Mount Washington picture gallery www.mountwashington.org...I think it was back in 2001, 2002, or 2003...where we had the " cornfield " meet going up the mountain....Very unique, after taking the picture from the back seat I noticed, ...It shows the inside of our vehicle, the snowcat, immediately in front of us...and a reflection of my wife and I in the back seat taking the picture, from the rearview mirror in our vehicle...
    Wow, that sounds like it was an exciting adventure! Backing up in the snow coach on the Mt. Washington Auto Road must have been freaky.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com