Looking for a chilhood memory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a chilhood memory

During my youth, some 50 plus years ago, my aunt took me and my siblings to a beautiful waterfall (about an 8' drop) that dropped into an amazing bowl (basin pool) that was faily deep in some spots and rose up to a shallow area where the brook or river flowed on. The cool thing about the waterfall was that it had a carved out bowl behind it, which was big enough for 1 and possibly 2 people. You had to dive down deep to get beyond the force of the waterfall and then come up behind the waterfall. It was nerve wracking because if you didn't dive deep enough then you ended up fighting the powerfall waterfall flow and getting tossed around like a rag doll. Some have thought this might be Diana's Bath, but in all of the internet photos I have seen there is nothing that looks even remotely like what I remember. I thought the location was somewhere near North Conway, hence the suggested correlation to Diana's Bath. The water flowed through a smooth granite shoot before going over the falls. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for listening.

Re: Looking for a chilhood memory

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    During my youth, some 50 plus years ago, my aunt took me and my siblings to a beautiful waterfall (about an 8' drop) that dropped into an amazing bowl (basin pool) that was faily deep in some spots and rose up to a shallow area where the brook or river flowed on. The cool thing about the waterfall was that it had a carved out bowl behind it, which was big enough for 1 and possibly 2 people. You had to dive down deep to get beyond the force of the waterfall and then come up behind the waterfall. It was nerve wracking because if you didn't dive deep enough then you ended up fighting the powerfall waterfall flow and getting tossed around like a rag doll. Some have thought this might be Diana's Bath, but in all of the internet photos I have seen there is nothing that looks even remotely like what I remember. I thought the location was somewhere near North Conway, hence the suggested correlation to Diana's Bath. The water flowed through a smooth granite shoot before going over the falls. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for listening.
    We've been to several waterfalls in NH but it doesn't sound familiar to us. Of coarse we weren't swimming in them either

Do you remember how far of a walk it was from you car or if there was a parking lot, long trail to get to it, any other features around the waterfall? Maybe it will help jog someone's memory.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

The pool had a high cliff on one side (maybe 15-20 feet high) and a slab of granite area where you could sit and sunbathe on the other side of the pool, which was not much higher than the water level. It had a dirt parking area and it wasn't a very long hike (10-15 minutes)on a trail to the pool. I remember lots of people sliding down the shoot and going over the waterfall while others swam in the pool. My recollection was that it was a popular spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        The pool had a high cliff on one side (maybe 15-20 feet high) and a slab of granite area where you could sit and sunbathe on the other side of the pool, which was not much higher than the water level. It had a dirt parking area and it wasn't a very long hike (10-15 minutes)on a trail to the pool. I remember lots of people sliding down the shoot and going over the waterfall while others swam in the pool. My recollection was that it was a popular spot.
        Souns like it might be some sort of gorge type of waterfall. Almost like Sabbaday Falls but I couldn't imagine anyone sliding off that waterfall safely.

It also sounds like The Flume. Not sure if swimming was allowed there at one point ot not.
        Matt Goodwin
        Admin
        NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

What is the name of the COUNTRY that NH shares a border with?

Working...
        X