Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Nice Cascade Along the Halfway Brook (bushwhack off the Nancy Pond Trail)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Nice Cascade Along the Halfway Brook (bushwhack off the Nancy Pond Trail)

    The snapshot shown below was taken on 18-Oct-2011 at a point about half-way up the Halfway Brook. This is a bushwhack off the Nancy Pond Trail.

    John
    http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/

  • #2
    Re: A Nice Cascade Along the Halfway Brook (bushwhack off the Nancy Pond Trail)

    Originally posted by 1HappyHiker View Post
    The snapshot shown below was taken on 18-Oct-2011 at a point about half-way up the Halfway Brook. This is a bushwhack off the Nancy Pond Trail.
    BEAUTIFUL! Where is the Nancy Pond Trail? I never heard of it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: A Nice Cascade Along the Halfway Brook (bushwhack off the Nancy Pond Trail)

      The trailhead for the Nancy Pond Trail is located on the west side of Route 302, about 6.7 miles south of the Willey House Site in Crawford Notch State Park. However, as indicated in my brief description, this cascade is reachable only by leaving the Nancy Pond Trail and doing a bushwhack (about 0.5 miles of off-trail hiking).
      John
      http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: A Nice Cascade Along the Halfway Brook (bushwhack off the Nancy Pond Trail)

        Gotta love those unknown waterfalls in the middle of nowhere... Where there any signs to it or did you find it on your own?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: A Nice Cascade Along the Halfway Brook (bushwhack off the Nancy Pond Trail)

          Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Gotta love those unknown waterfalls in the middle of nowhere... Where there any signs to it or did you find it on your own?
          There are no signs. This was something that I found on my own. I study topographic maps and GoogleEarth and look for features that look like they might be interesting. Some things turn out to be nice, whereas others turn out to be of little or no interest. Obviously, this type of endeavor shouldn't be undertaken by anyone uncomfortable with navigating off-trail through the woods.
          John
          http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: A Nice Cascade Along the Halfway Brook (bushwhack off the Nancy Pond Trail)

            Originally posted by 1HappyHiker View Post
            There are no signs. This was something that I found on my own. I study topographic maps and GoogleEarth and look for features that look like they might be interesting. Some things turn out to be nice, whereas others turn out to be of little or no interest. Obviously, this type of endeavor shouldn't be undertaken by anyone uncomfortable with navigating off-trail through the woods.
            That's interesting. I never thought of using Google Earth to find cool stuff in the woods. I do some off trail hiking in NH but I am a freak about making sure I don't turn into one of those out-of-staters who call 911 when they get lost in the woods. lol I bring a GPS with me, a compass (in case my GPS battery dies) and yes, a cell phone (just in case).

            Last time I went off trail hiking I did get a little lost, but only for a short time. Thats some of the fun of it for me so it was no big deal at all. I was hiking in Franconia Notch and went off the trail and ended up in a mud bog with mud up to my knees trying to get to where I wanted to go. Ended up being a nightmare, then the temps fell into the 30's - cold and wet! The worst case scenario!

            Comment

            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x

            Which state is west of NH?

            Working...
            X