Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

    August 18, 2009 accident on Silver Cascade Waterfall in NH

    Aaron Cole, a college student from Grass Lake, is fortunate those stories can be true. Otherwise he'd probably be dead.

    Cole, 24, and his girlfriend, Shelly Johnson, 22, also a college student from Grass Lake, were headed to Maine on a vacation when disaster struck Aug. 18.

    "We were in New Hampshire when we saw a beautiful waterfall and decided to climb to the top," said Cole, a graduate student studying speech pathology at Eastern Michigan University.

    On the hike, Cole started fooling around by walking in the water. It was not incredibly steep, but the water had lots of slippery algae and rocks.

    To Johnson, it looked dangerous. She pleaded with her boyfriend to get back on dry ground.

    "He's one of those daredevil kids, so it (the warning) did not do any good," Johnson said.

    Suddenly Cole slipped. For a split second, it seemed OK.

    "Then I lost control and could not stop," he said.

    He careened about 120 feet, bashing his head on rocks. He stopped, bloody and unconscious, face-down in a pool of water. That was actually a lucky break because he just missed sliding off a tall drop-off.

    His second lucky break was the fact his girlfriend of four years is a senior nursing student at the University of Michigan.

    Cole was not breathing when she reached him, so she gave him a few "rescue breaths." It worked. Cole coughed and spit water.

    Johnson took off her swimming suit to bandage gashes on his head, then carried him down a hill that took them 45 minutes to climb. Most of the way, she said, she cradled him, talked to him and tried to keep him conscious.

    "With head injuries, I knew it was important to keep him from going into a coma," she said.

    Johnson is athletic a state champion hurdler at Grass Lake but it defies explanation that she, at 115 pounds, carried a 160-pound man so far.

    "She tried picking me up again the other day and could hold me for only a few seconds," Cole said.

    "If all the money in the world was placed on it now," she said, "I don't think I could do it again. It was adrenaline and God."

    Cole's third piece of luck came at the bottom of the hill. The first people to find them were an intensive-care nurse and an emergency-room nurse.

    The closest hospital was not equipped to handle serious head wounds, so Cole was airlifted to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, N.H. He was treated in intensive care for two days, but had no permanent brain damage.

    "Shelly is a true hero and deserves all the credit in the world for saving my life," Cole said.

    Johnson is not comfortable being called a hero, but she knows one thing.

    "He owes me ice cream for life," she said.

    Story from:
    http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/in...udents_st.html
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

  • #2
    Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

    Very believable. I went up there today with a couple of friends ( drove all the way from Fryeburg, Maine ) and we climbed to almost the very top. ( Was way to tired to try and make it over the very last fall at the exact top ). It is definitely an area that you will end up dead on if your not careful.

    I found this forum/topic searching for information of other people who have made it to the very top. Is there a spring or something else at the top?
    This was about halfway, and it was this steep for most of the way.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

      Originally posted by 452films View Post
      Very believable. I went up there today with a couple of friends ( drove all the way from Fryeburg, Maine ) and we climbed to almost the very top. ( Was way to tired to try and make it over the very last fall at the exact top ). It is definitely an area that you will end up dead on if your not careful.

      I found this forum/topic searching for information of other people who have made it to the very top. Is there a spring or something else at the top?
      This was about halfway, and it was this steep for most of the way.
      Wow, funny you posted this. I have plans on climbing to the top of Silver Cascade to get some photos/videos but now im re-thinking it. Im not exactly 18 anymore (42 actually). Looks very steep looking at your photo. I wonder if there is a trail that comes from the AMC trails that take you to the top of the falls without having to hike straight up the falls. I will have to look into that.

      There are a lot of water sources up there, many springs. We hiked to another waterfall in that area called Gibbs Falls but I don't believe its the same water source.

      Another waterfall I plan on hiking to (not up) is Arethusa Falls. A news reporter died there. I have a little bit of info about that mishap on the page I linked to.

      Glad you guys made it down ok.

      By your user name is it safe to assume you were getting video of that area?
      Matt Goodwin
      Admin
      NHTourGuide.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

        I'd like to be able to say we got some video, but the only one we have is of a friend playing around at the top where it has nice smooth rocks down onto a ledge. He was sliding down then stopping safely at the ledge and we only took one cell phone video. I definitely would love to get some actual videos up there though, some crazy stuff.

        If you feel the rock climbing is to technical, you can actually walk off into the woods to the right, and theres a path ( most certainly not a trail of any sort, but theres definitely a path beaten into it by both foot and water ) and up you go. Theres one section where you need to use roots from a tree to pull yourself up but I'm not exactly a strong guy so I'd say your good to go. Just be careful and know that things happen quick up there. One push off the wrong rock and your done. I'd say if you use common sense, you'll be fine.

        The cool part about it was, I didn't have any plans for the day and I asked a friend "Hey, wanna go hiking up in the white mountains?". We all just said sure. Left Fryeburg at 4pm, and came back around 7-7:30.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

          Originally posted by 452films View Post
          I'd like to be able to say we got some video, but the only one we have is of a friend playing around at the top where it has nice smooth rocks down onto a ledge. He was sliding down then stopping safely at the ledge and we only took one cell phone video. I definitely would love to get some actual videos up there though, some crazy stuff.

          If you feel the rock climbing is to technical, you can actually walk off into the woods to the right, and theres a path ( most certainly not a trail of any sort, but theres definitely a path beaten into it by both foot and water ) and up you go. Theres one section where you need to use roots from a tree to pull yourself up but I'm not exactly a strong guy so I'd say your good to go. Just be careful and know that things happen quick up there. One push off the wrong rock and your done. I'd say if you use common sense, you'll be fine.

          The cool part about it was, I didn't have any plans for the day and I asked a friend "Hey, wanna go hiking up in the white mountains?". We all just said sure. Left Fryeburg at 4pm, and came back around 7-7:30.
          I can't imagine sliding down the smooth rocks near the top... makes me light-headed just thinking about it.

          Too bad you didn't get any videos. My goal is to get some video footage there myself soon. I have a contract with a very well-known TV station (which I cannot mention at this time due to the contract). So I may need to put my fear of heights aside and get some footage. Nothing crazy though, it aint worth dying for

          The last time I was at Silver Cascade I did see the trail and even started up the trail with camera in hand and got a little ways up but I had to turn around as it was getting late and I didn't inform anyone I was with that I was headed up the trail. Realizinf it was going to take some time, I turned around with plans of coming back.

          Since you're from Fryeburg Maine, do you happen to know anyone with the last name of "Wells-Goodwin." I got family up in that area.
          Matt Goodwin
          Admin
          NHTourGuide.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

            Wish I could say I did know them. I'm actually from Denmark ( Next town over ), and most of my friends are from Fryeburg ( as well as my school ).

            And this is where 452films comes from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-yb3MKWFP0

            Next year we'll be pushing a way from the fields and trying to venture up to the mountains some more. Off trail riding is best when you know that any little screw up and your out for the season ( good motivation! ). The first set of mountains that are visible are the opening to the White Mountains. One of them is Hurricane Mountain and is clearly visible from where we were ( North Fryeburg Fields, about 2 miles or so from Petes Garage by road, or 3 by snowmobile )

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

              Originally posted by 452films View Post
              Wish I could say I did know them. I'm actually from Denmark ( Next town over ), and most of my friends are from Fryeburg ( as well as my school ).

              And this is where 452films comes from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-yb3MKWFP0

              Next year we'll be pushing a way from the fields and trying to venture up to the mountains some more. Off trail riding is best when you know that any little screw up and your out for the season ( good motivation! ). The first set of mountains that are visible are the opening to the White Mountains. One of them is Hurricane Mountain and is clearly visible from where we were ( North Fryeburg Fields, about 2 miles or so from Petes Garage by road, or 3 by snowmobile )
              Wow, that's where they live! They have a place at Moose Pond in Denmark Maine. My father was a minister for many years up there.

              Checked out your YouTube... Very cool stuff. You guys are nuts! lol

              The clip with the deer on the trail was cool. I had that happen a few times around here.

              We have sleds also but don't have the sleds to get into any off trail mountain riding so we stick to the groomed trails.

              We were just up on Rt. 302 yesterday but never made it to Silver Cascade. We went into Vermont up I-93 then headed back on Rt. 5 in VT and over to Rt. 112, then Rt. 302 through Conway and back down Rt. 16 and Rt. 28. We were everywhere and just ran out of time and daylight.
              Matt Goodwin
              Admin
              NHTourGuide.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

                Originally posted by NHTourGuide View Post
                Wow, that's where they live! They have a place at Moose Pond in Denmark Maine. My father was a minister for many years up there.

                Checked out your YouTube... Very cool stuff. You guys are nuts! lol

                The clip with the deer on the trail was cool. I had that happen a few times around here.

                We have sleds also but don't have the sleds to get into any off trail mountain riding so we stick to the groomed trails.

                We were just up on Rt. 302 yesterday but never made it to Silver Cascade. We went into Vermont up I-93 then headed back on Rt. 5 in VT and over to Rt. 112, then Rt. 302 through Conway and back down Rt. 16 and Rt. 28. We were everywhere and just ran out of time and daylight.
                Yup, I make that trip all the time. Make quite a few trips to both Milton, VT and Newport, VT every year for snowmobiles and cars.

                And yup, we put our boat in Moose Pond and I have a couple friends out on the lake to.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

                  Originally posted by 452films View Post
                  Yup, I make that trip all the time. Make quite a few trips to both Milton, VT and Newport, VT every year for snowmobiles and cars.

                  And yup, we put our boat in Moose Pond and I have a couple friends out on the lake to.
                  Never gone into VT by snowmobile (too cheap to register in both places I guess). We normally stay local in NH if the snow amounts are good (like this past season). We also go to Twin Mountain and we also go to Gorham NH with our local club for the Easter Seal Ride-In weekend every year.

                  Boating on Moose Pond in Maine.... Reminds me of my dad. He bought a boat for the lake (they have a dock there), being a minister with a sense of humor he named the boat "The Descipleship." lol - gotta love funny boat names.
                  Matt Goodwin
                  Admin
                  NHTourGuide.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

                    Thats why I just buy sleds from there. I usually just stick to riding in Maine ( registration $33 ) but will be dishing out the extra $100 to ride in NH this year.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

                      Originally posted by 452films View Post
                      Thats why I just buy sleds from there. I usually just stick to riding in Maine ( registration $33 ) but will be dishing out the extra $100 to ride in NH this year.
                      New Hampshire charges $100 for out of state snowmobile registration? I think we pay around $50-$60 per sled.... Im not totally sure.
                      Matt Goodwin
                      Admin
                      NHTourGuide.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

                        452 Films: Let me ask you... Would you be interested in doing some video footage of Silver Cascade? Not sure if needed just yet, I will find out soon. If so, I will need it done really fast (like next week). It's for a TV show that I am contracted not to mention.
                        Matt Goodwin
                        Admin
                        NHTourGuide.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

                          Would there be anything in it for me, maybe something to cover fuel expenses? If so, I'll definitely do that. Just short on money right now. Will even gather some from Flume Cascade at the top ( which the hike is a lot more extreme than silver cascade now that I've done it ). We went up Flume Cascade and back down Silver Cascade. We hiked about .5-.6 miles from a trail that went to the springs that fed silver cascade ( we climbed all the way up Flume Cascade till it met that trail. We came across some people that had been hanging out in the shallow pools and thats how we even noticed the trail )

                          Edit:
                          Going from Flume Cascade to Silver Cascade. Follow the trail the splits off, go right. This will bring you down to a fall as well as a pool which is deep enough for swimming. Hike down from there is what we did ( brings you right back out on 302 ). You have to go into the woods for the sections you cant climb down. The sections in the woods here are EXTREMELY dangerous and a close eye on every move you make is needed. Some of the ground here is made up of trees that are hundreds of years old, and the roots sit a couple feet of the ground and are covered in moss end to end ( the ground is all moss and root sitting in the air ). You must stay light footed, agile, and able to find the roots as fast as your going to support yourself. Getting towards the top use extreme caution as one slip through the trail off to the left ( looks like a beaten foot path ) will send you falling well over 100 feet into rock/water ( Death is pretty much a guarantee if you slip to the right ). So stay slow, and dont take chances. Coming down keep it slow as well, because even areas that look like hard ground, are an area where you'll slip and take off down the hill, and if you dont catch yourself on the first few trees you pass, it could end up really bad. The whole face from there on can be climbed down. You must walk to the edges of everything, and walk end to end picking new places. Dont try the first spot you find. And I'm 100% serious when I say you dont need to go into the woods once from there ( still a good 600 feet higher than the road )
                          Last edited by 452films; 07-13-2011, 11:51 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

                            Thanks for the info! I hiked up some of Silver Cascade before, but I stopped and turned around when it started getting a bit out of my comfort zone. When I turned around to get back down I realized it it much easier going up than back down!

                            Anyway, there may be some money in this. Not much but it will cover your gas and maybe a few extra bucks too. You would think a big time producer would mean big time money... If I get the green light, by the time we were done we should have gas money, a few extra bucks and bragging rights I guess.

                            I am waiting to hear back from the producer to see what types of shots they want.

                            Here are some camera specs they need:


                            CREW REMINDERS
                            • Shoot in 60i x 720p
                            • Shoot drop frame
                            • Shoot 16:9 Aspect Ratio
                            Keel all media until we confirm that it’s been transferred to the system.
                            Matt Goodwin
                            Admin
                            NHTourGuide.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

                              My video is:
                              480x720
                              29 frames per second
                              16:9 Aspect Ratio

                              Not sure if that meets your specs or not? I can send you some raw video later from Big Eddy on the Kangamangus. And on another note, dont jump at rocky gorge. The cops WILL show up. He said anywhere but there.

                              Comment

                              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x

                              Which STATE is east of NH?

                              Working...
                              X