Pretty dissapointed with Pittsburg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty dissapointed with Pittsburg

Went up north to pittsburg for the weekend. Was my first time. Wouldn't go back. Wouldn't recommend anyone to go there either.

First the signs on the trails are non exhistant. There were maps at every intersection but there were so many trails overlapping and in close proximity to eachother it was hard to see exactly what trail you needed to take to get to where you were going. They were hard to read and hard to understand. Im a Mechanical Engineer and deal with prints all day alot easier to understand then these maps. How hard would it be to have a sign 1000 feet down the trail confirming what route and direction you were headed. Maybe a sign stating "2 miles to 5" or "10 miles to back lake" last time when we rode in maine the trail maps were well laid out and it gave you arrows and distances to and from points which made it very easy to understand where you were and what trail to take to get to where you were going.

We showed up at 7PM friday to the "place" we had reserved to stay for the weekend. Im going to leave the name of it out of this because they had nothing to do with what happened. But what we found was a bunch of drunk idiots partying and riding snowmobiles around all night until 3 am. WHERE IS FISH AND GAME? WHERE IS THE PITTSBURG POLICE. HOW CAN WE CONTACT THEM SINCE THERE IS NO CELL PHONE SERVICE IN TOWN AND NO WAY TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM?????

I wouldn't recommend pittsburg to anyone. We will be registering our sleds in Maine next year. I would not join the club or give them a dime again. I would rather drive double the distance to maine and not deal with this. What a freak show.

Re: Pretty dissapointed with Pittsburg

Originally posted by Pretty dissapointed View Post
    Went up north to pittsburg for the weekend. Was my first time. Wouldn't go back. Wouldn't recommend anyone to go there either.

First the signs on the trails are non exhistant. There were maps at every intersection but there were so many trails overlapping and in close proximity to eachother it was hard to see exactly what trail you needed to take to get to where you were going. They were hard to read and hard to understand. Im a Mechanical Engineer and deal with prints all day alot easier to understand then these maps. How hard would it be to have a sign 1000 feet down the trail confirming what route and direction you were headed. Maybe a sign stating "2 miles to 5" or "10 miles to back lake" last time when we rode in maine the trail maps were well laid out and it gave you arrows and distances to and from points which made it very easy to understand where you were and what trail to take to get to where you were going.

We showed up at 7PM friday to the "place" we had reserved to stay for the weekend. Im going to leave the name of it out of this because they had nothing to do with what happened. But what we found was a bunch of drunk idiots partying and riding snowmobiles around all night until 3 am. WHERE IS FISH AND GAME? WHERE IS THE PITTSBURG POLICE. HOW CAN WE CONTACT THEM SINCE THERE IS NO CELL PHONE SERVICE IN TOWN AND NO WAY TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM?????

I wouldn't recommend pittsburg to anyone. We will be registering our sleds in Maine next year. I would not join the club or give them a dime again. I would rather drive double the distance to maine and not deal with this. What a freak show.
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. There are knuckleheads everywhere though, going snowmobiling in Maine won't help.

I too have noticed a lot of problems with signage up north, not just in Pittsburg. I think they could do a better job letting people know where they are headed for people not familiar with the area.
    Lisa
    Life IS a bowl of cherries, I don't care what your mother said!

Comment

?????????????????????????????????????????????

I took the wife to Pittsburg Mon-Wed. We stayed in a big cabin and had a blast. Being a school vaca week there were a lot of riders.

We were only able to get in 500mi. but it was an easy 500. The trails north of back lake were all great, the trails south to the SDR trails were rough the SDR trails were good.

Not sure of where you stayed or where it was in Pittsburg, but where we stay we will go back over and over.

Had a nice trip to Maine a few years ago RUINED by no grooming. 3 days and barely 100mi. Does Maine EVER groom their trails? Of course they do, they just didn't groom anything we were on that trip. I could say the same thing about never going back to Maine but it would be ridiculous.

Had a nice trip to Quebec in 2006, had two sleds and a 4 place vnose trailer stolen (never to be returned). Add to that terrible signage and in French to boot - but we still go back.

Comment

sorry you had a bad time in nh. i road maine for a week 2 seasons ago and the trails were rough im sure they groom but i didnt find much of it. of course it was a vacation week wich is ailways the worst. if you want good riding go when the kids are in school, conditions are always better. as far as sighns or maps well they could b better but i have always been able to figure it out without much problem and im not an engineer

Comment

Weeknights are best too. Weekends are almost always crowded. We went up north got there bout 1am and rode all night long till the sun came up. Thats the best time to be there!!
          Lisa
          Life IS a bowl of cherries, I don't care what your mother said!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

Which STATE is south of the NH border?

Working...
          X