Rock Climbing Newbie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Climbing Newbie

I've decided to take up a challenging new passion in 2012 and thought rock climbing may be the answer. Got no clue where to begin tho. Do I just buy a few ropes and some anchors, take out a little extra life insurance and learn as I go? lol

Re: Rock Climbing Newbie

when i started climbing i started in a climbing gym where i was instructed by professionals.
    in a gym you will learn proper knot tying and good safe practices.
    you could also hire a guide that can teach you the safe way to climb.
    there is a lot to learn about safe climbing and learning as you go does not work as one misplaced anchor or mis tied knot and your learning curve is over.

Comment

It only takes a single misplaced anchor or bad knot to ruin the climb? I always thought rock climbers had a dozen backups in case something let go, no? Thats scary!

Comment

you can place all the protection you like, but if your not properly trained to place each piece correctly then what good is it? you won't know until it does not work and that may or may not be to late.
        some climbing knots can easily be mis tied but still appear to be tied correctly and when fully loaded can come undone.
        so yes, It only takes a single misplaced anchor or bad knot to ruin your day or your life or your climb.

Comment

True! Im not a climber but was always curious how they did it. I watched a couple rock climbers on White Horse Ledge a few years ago. From a distance it was apparent that it was not a race or an adrenaline junky sport but more of a well thought out tactical sport.

I wouldn't make the first 10' without wetting myself.

Comment

Originally posted by RVGuy View Post
            a well thought out tactical sport.
            that is a good way to say it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x

Which STATE is south of the NH border?

Working...
            X