October 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: October 2010

Wow! You hiked Mt. Washington in the Winter? How was that hike? I always wanted to hear someone's experience hiking Mt. Washington while battling the elements. Your photos look like you went in soem extreme conditions

Congrats on summiting in the winter!

Comment

If you get the chance I would also love to hear about your experience hiking Mt Washington.
      Matt Goodwin
      Admin
      NHTourGuide.com

Comment

thanks for the reply's.
        i can say that for me this hike was epic.
        i was really tested, and my dog, well she is just unbelievable.
        i had no idea what we were in store for when we started out in the morning.
        all was well for the first part of the hike and about one quarter of the way up Tuckerman Ravine the snowflakes started falling and coming out of the ravine we saw some beautiful ice cover landscape.
        as soon as we came out of the ravine the wind was just blowing steady and my pack felt like a parachute, all the way to the summit i was on all fours trying not to get blown off the mountain, it was crazy.
        my dog is tough as nails and i couldn't of done it without her....ok i could have but she would have never forgiven me.
        on the summit we were walking at an angle, the wind was just incredible.
        on the way down in my haste i was blown off my feet which resulted in finishing
        the descent with a painfully swollen possibly sprained ankle.
        it really was an awesome experience and i now feel like i could work towards a 10k + summit
        Attached Files
        Last edited by CFP_1970; 03-13-2012, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CFP_1970 View Post
          thanks for the reply's.
          i can say that for me this hike was epic.
          i was really tested, and my dog, well she is just unbelievable.
          i had no idea what we were in store for when we started out in the morning.
          all was well for the first part of the hike and about one quarter of the way up Huntington Ravine the snowflakes started falling and coming out of the ravine we saw some beautiful ice cover landscape.
          as soon as we came out of the ravine the wind was just blowing steady and my pack felt like a parachute, all the way to the summit i was on all fours trying not to get blown off the mountain, it was crazy.
          my dog is tough as nails and i couldn't of done it without her....ok i could have but she would have never forgiven me.
          on the summit we were walking at an angle, the wind was just incredible.
          on the way down in my haste i was blown off my feet which resulted in finishing
          the descent with a painfully swollen possibly sprained ankle.
          it really was an awesome experience and i now feel like i could work towards a 10k + summit
          I can't imagine that much wind hiking up the mountain! Did you ever consider turning around and trying it at another time?

I have always wanted to climb Mt. Washington, so I get a bit fascinated by stories of those who have.

When you get to the summit of the mountain do you hike back down or get a ride? I think I would need a helicopter. lol

Never thought of taking my dog on a Mt. Washington hike, I would be afraid I would trip over him when I got tired. He tends to walk close to me. I have taken him on other excursions and much smaller mountain hikes and he did ok.
          Matt Goodwin
          Admin
          NHTourGuide.com

Comment

... Ya, I would say you sprained that ankle! ouch!!
            Matt Goodwin
            Admin
            NHTourGuide.com

Comment

i can't say that i thought of turning around, i really want to climb bigger peaks so for me i had to keep going to test my gear and myself.
              what i did learn was that climbing in those conditions was 10 times harder then when i did it in 09-05-09 with sunny/no wind conditions.
              my body needed more fuel because i was working way harder.
              i always hike down after a hike up.
              my dog goes everywhere with me, we thru hiked my state (78 miles in four days to benefit Spinal Muscular Atrophy) as well as four trips around Franconia Ridge and we have logged thousands of miles together in the service truck.
              she really is an awesome companion and she has earned the nickname "tough as nails", i am very lucky to have her.
              the trick to keeping injures under control is to start taking anti inflammatory medication one day prior to your hike and Tylenol 3 the day of the hike, works like a charm.

pics from Mt. Washington 09
              http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=6c6dc7a61f

Comment

I wondered if turning around ever crosses your mind when the weather is bad (seeing weather is usually bad most of the time on Mt. Washington).

I can imagine it must have been a lot harder hiking in those conditions.

So you hiked down the mountain with a sprained ankle? That must have been a bit uncomfortable!

Good dogs are hard to find... she sounds like a keeper! Does she carry her own pack?

We used to take Aleeve before hiking. It does make the trip a bit less painful!
                Matt Goodwin
                Admin
                NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Originally posted by NHTourGuide View Post
                  I wondered if turning around ever crosses your mind when the weather is bad (seeing weather is usually bad most of the time on Mt. Washington).

I can imagine it must have been a lot harder hiking in those conditions.

So you hiked down the mountain with a sprained ankle? That must have been a bit uncomfortable!

Good dogs are hard to find... she sounds like a keeper! Does she carry her own pack?

We used to take Aleeve before hiking. It does make the trip a bit less painful!
                  it was uncomfortable hiking down with that ankle, your mind needs to be strong.
                  the medication helps as well.
                  the dog carry a pack with here own food and supplies in it, i take a ton of crap on the mountain for doing it.
                  i guess people feel like i should carry my dogs stuff.
                  turning around does cross my mind and we actually did turn around when we made it to the summit of Lafayette and the wind was doin 40 and frozen sideways driven rain was hitting us like a sand blaster.
                  there was no way we were going to make it across the ridge in those conditions.
                  we still had a great time.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=623911820a
                  Last edited by CFP_1970; 03-13-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

it was uncomfortable hiking down with that ankle, your mind needs to be strong.
                    the medication helps as well.
                    the dog carry a pack with here own food and supplies in it, i take a ton of crap on the mountain for doing it.
                    i guess people feel like i should carry my dogs stuff.
                    turning around does cross my mind and we actually did turn around when we made it to the summit of Lafayette and the wind was doin 40 and frozen sideways driven rain was hitting us like a sand blaster.
                    there was no way we were going to make it across the ridge in those conditions.
                    we still had a great time.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=623911820a
                    At least you didn't sprain your ankle half way up. That would've been a bit more challenging for the mind!

People give you crap about your dog taking her own pack?

Funny, no one ever complains about dogs pulling a dog sled with multiple people on them or making horses pull logs out of the woods.... Not that I am against those things but sometimes people don't think. Your dog's survival depends somewhat on yours. Those few extra pounds would be much worse on your than it would be alone on your dog.

It is easier to turn around after you have reached at least one goal.

We were hiking trails to NH waterfalls a couple years ago. We did about 30 short hikes in one summer. One of the last ones we did was in the end of October in Franconia Notch. We hiked the trail from the Basin and lost the trail. Apparently the trail went across the river and we ended up on a path that others took and we eventually ended up bushwhacking and not prepared for it. Temps began to drop fast and then it started getting dark. We were not prepared for the cold or the dark either (We packed a little too light I think). We could hear the waterfall but it was too dark to enjoy it so we turned around. We made it back to the trailhead by 9pm never finding the waterfall. Next time we will know the trail a little better.
                    Matt Goodwin
                    Admin
                    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

People give you crap about your dog taking her own pack?

Funny, no one ever complains about dogs pulling a dog sled with multiple people on them or making horses pull logs out of the woods.... Not that I am against those things but sometimes people don't think. Your dog's survival depends somewhat on yours. Those few extra pounds would be much worse on your than it would be alone on your dog.
                      i know, i'm all for proper treatment of all animals but the PETA types out there think that they are the only ones who know how to properly care for an animal.
                      i wonder what they think about sled dogs sleeping out on the tundra in -40*F nights and they don't even know that those dogs are meant for that and they love to do the work way more then sitting on the couch eating chips besides.

Comment

i know, i'm all for proper treatment of all animals but the PETA types out there think that they are the only ones who know how to properly care for an animal.
                        i wonder what they think about sled dogs sleeping out on the tundra in -40*F nights and they don't even know that those dogs are meant for that and they love to do the work way more then sitting on the couch eating chips besides.
                        Right... I think people have domesticated animals to the point where we lost sight of their natural abilities and instincts. I used to know a guy who fed his dog raw chicken and beef and people thought he was crazy. In reality that is what dogs eat in the wild, not that chemical infused, mass-produced sawdust we call dog food. lol
                        Matt Goodwin
                        Admin
                        NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Right... I think people have domesticated animals to the point where we lost sight of their natural abilities and instincts. I used to know a guy who fed his dog raw chicken and beef and people thought he was crazy. In reality that is what dogs eat in the wild, not that chemical infused, mass-produced sawdust we call dog food. lol
                          i totally agree.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x

Which STATE is south of the NH border?

Working...
                          X