Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Castle Near Lake Winnipesaukee (Kimball Castle)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castle Near Lake Winnipesaukee (Kimball Castle)

When I was a kid my mom had a book, something about hidden places in New Hampshire. She took me to an old abandoned castle that overlooked Lake Winnipesaukee, it was a great place and I've wanted to take my kids there but I can't seem to find it. I think it is in Gilford near one of the scenic views overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee. I have hiked a lof ot the trails around there just trying to find the castle but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Has anyone else been there or know where this old castle is?

Thanks!
    Sue

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    When I was a kid my mom had a book, something about hidden places in New Hampshire. She took me to an old abandoned castle that overlooked Lake Winnipesaukee, it was a great place and I've wanted to take my kids there but I can't seem to find it. I think it is in Gilford near one of the scenic views overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee. I have hiked a lof ot the trails around there just trying to find the castle but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Has anyone else been there or know where this old castle is?

Thanks!
    Sue
    Hi Sue,

Welcome to the NH Tour Guide Forum!

This castle I am familiar with as my parent also took me there when I was a kid. It is Kimball Castle on Lockes Hill in Gilford NH.

From KimballCastle.com: "Kimball Castle was built by Benjamin Ames Kimball in the town of Gilford, New Hampshire. The castle overlooks "the Broads" of lake Winnipesaukee. Benjamin Ames Kimball was very influencial in New Hampshire politics and served as President of the Boston, Montreal and Concord railways."

Kimball Castle has been cleaned up since the days I was there when it looked abandoned as you said.

The sad part is that they are planning on turning the historic castle into a resort. Im sure they will preserve the castle as best as possible, but it seems a shame to change this historical place to anything other than it's original. I don't know much about the plan, but I hope it's better than just a big money maker. I hope they preserve the castle and the grounds nearby.

Anyway, thats what I know about Kimball Castle. Hope it helps...
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Originally posted by NHTourGuide View Post
      Hi Sue,

Welcome to the NH Tour Guide Forum!

This castle I am familiar with as my parent also took me there when I was a kid. It is Kimball Castle on Lockes Hill in Gilford NH.

From KimballCastle.com: "Kimball Castle was built by Benjamin Ames Kimball in the town of Gilford, New Hampshire. The castle overlooks "the Broads" of lake Winnipesaukee. Benjamin Ames Kimball was very influencial in New Hampshire politics and served as President of the Boston, Montreal and Concord railways."

Kimball Castle has been cleaned up since the days I was there when it looked abandoned as you said.

The sad part is that they are planning on turning the historic castle into a resort. Im sure they will preserve the castle as best as possible, but it seems a shame to change this historical place to anything other than it's original. I don't know much about the plan, but I hope it's better than just a big money maker. I hope they preserve the castle and the grounds nearby.

Anyway, thats what I know about Kimball Castle. Hope it helps...
      Hi matt,

thanks for the details about Kimbal Castle. I looked at their website, that is it!! I cant wait to bring my kids there, i am surprised that they do not have signs on Rt. 11 telling you where it is. maybe they do not want a lot of people up there, afraid of vandals or something.

anyways, great to see the old castle still watching over lake winnipesaukee!

have a great thanksgiving!!!!!
      Sue

Comment

RE: Castle Near Lake Winnipesaukee (Kimball Castle)

Hi matt,

thanks for the details about Kimbal Castle. I looked at their website, that is it!! I cant wait to bring my kids there, i am surprised that they do not have signs on Rt. 11 telling you where it is. maybe they do not want a lot of people up there, afraid of vandals or something.

anyways, great to see the old castle still watching over lake winnipesaukee!

have a great thanksgiving!!!!!
        Sue
        Does anyone know if there are other castles in New Hampshire like the one in Gilford at Lake Winnipisaukee?

I know there is one right on the lake. I remember seeing that one on Ghost Hunters, but I was looking for more abandoned castles.

Comment

I remember seeing a castle in Nashua once. I believe the castle is located on South Main st. It's a small one and is occupied.

Comment

Re: Castle Near Lake Winnipesaukee (Kimball Castle)

This is a realy cool place. Sorry to see it's going to turn into a resort though.

Comment

This is a realy cool place. Sorry to see it's going to turn into a resort though.
              when will the resort at the castle site be finished? might be a nice place to stay. the views of lake winnepesaukee will be great from the resort!!!

Comment

can the Kimball castle still be visited?

Comment

can the Kimball castle still be visited?
                  Im fairly certain you can still visit the area. Not sure if you can get right to the castle like you could before though.
                  Matt Goodwin
                  Admin
                  NHTourGuide.com

Comment

I do not think any work is being done to restore the castle much less turn it into a resort. The roof to the stable has completely caved in, and the castle has not been cleaned up. Also, I believe the castle is on the market for $880,000. The resort concept does not seem to be materializing. Plus the castle was featured on an episode of Ghost Hunters in 2009--not really a good idea if you're trying to sell the place. Are the owners still living on the property?

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah View Post
                      I do not think any work is being done to restore the castle much less turn it into a resort. The roof to the stable has completely caved in, and the castle has not been cleaned up. Also, I believe the castle is on the market for $880,000. The resort concept does not seem to be materializing. Plus the castle was featured on an episode of Ghost Hunters in 2009--not really a good idea if you're trying to sell the place. Are the owners still living on the property?
                      really?? wow! i wondered if they were going to actually pull it off. i wonder why they stopped the project? it sure looked like they had plans doen up and were ready to go!

well, maybe better left history!

Comment

It's so sad to see nothing done to the castle. I fear for its future. Also, I do not understand why there isn't some kind of gate or barrier to prevent people from driving up? The place is such a unique piece of history and deserves to be cared for. I appreciate anyone else's feedback regarding this place.

Comment

It's so sad to see nothing done to the castle. I fear for its future. Also, I do not understand why there isn't some kind of gate or barrier to prevent people from driving up? The place is such a unique piece of history and deserves to be cared for. I appreciate anyone else's feedback regarding this place.
                          I agree! The castle is a very unique historical building and land. It should be preserved, made into a museum with things from the castle and Lake Winnipesaukee artifacts, charge admission. The view of Lake Winnipesaukee alone would make it worth going there!

Comment

this castle is a privately owned land and it is clearly posted through out the area, no visitors allowed.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x

Which state is west of NH?

Working...
                            X