Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost New Hampshire Cemeteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lost New Hampshire Cemeteries

    In my travels around the state of New Hampshire I have seen a few cemeteries and graves that have been just kind of forgotten about. Some are in the woods, some on the sides of roads. Why do the towns and cities in NH let this happen? Are these cemeteries listed someplace?

    I find it hard to believe people let this happen.

  • #2
    Re: Lost New Hampshire Cemeteries

    Your best bet would be to contact the town where the cemetery is located and ask for information. You may consider volunteering to clean them up as most towns in NH dont take care fo cemeteries to my knowledge.

    You could also try the local historical society.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Lost New Hampshire Cemeteries

      Some of these cemeteries are so interesting (& sad) to walk around and read what's on the headstones...my son and I visited one in North Woodstock (this one appears maintained) over the summer one afternoon when we were bored...as we walked around we couldn't help that many of the headstones were memorials to young children...I had to explain to my son that they didn't have medicines, vaccines, etc., which prevents much of that from happening now - back in the 1800's...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Lost New Hampshire Cemeteries

        Originally posted by mommyroo View Post
        Some of these cemeteries are so interesting (& sad) to walk around and read what's on the headstones...my son and I visited one in North Woodstock (this one appears maintained) over the summer one afternoon when we were bored...as we walked around we couldn't help that many of the headstones were memorials to young children...I had to explain to my son that they didn't have medicines, vaccines, etc., which prevents much of that from happening now - back in the 1800's...
        Everytime we go to a cemetery we go to the older section and look at the old gravestones. Very sad to see such young kids and teenagers die so young. We were at a few of them where the Plaque was known to ravage some of these small New Hampshire towns and you can see the results by the groups of people and families that all die around the same time. In some case, the Plague took out an entire family.

        Great that you made your son aware of the way things used to be. Maybe it should be taught more in schools with a field trip to the local cemetery

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Lost New Hampshire Cemeteries

          Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Great that you made your son aware of the way things used to be. Maybe it should be taught more in schools with a field trip to the local cemetery
          Yes, I agree...maybe there would be less vandalism in cemeteries if children were taught at a young age to respect them...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Lost New Hampshire Cemeteries

            Originally posted by mommyroo View Post
            Yes, I agree...maybe there would be less vandalism in cemeteries if children were taught at a young age to respect them...
            i cannot believe that people vandalize cemetaries! that is one thing that really makes me mad. how could anyone do that? how would they like it if it was there grandmothers grave?

            there should be a law passed that you have to scrub every headstone in the cemetary with your toothbrush if you tip over a headstone.

            sorry, didnt mean to rant slightly off topic but grave vandalism really pisses me off.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Lost New Hampshire Cemeteries

              Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              i cannot believe that people vandalize cemetaries! that is one thing that really makes me mad. how could anyone do that? how would they like it if it was there grandmothers grave?

              there should be a law passed that you have to scrub every headstone in the cemetary with your toothbrush if you tip over a headstone.

              sorry, didnt mean to rant slightly off topic but grave vandalism really pisses me off.
              There are laws against vandalizm and grave desecration. With all the cemeteries around and all the kids around it's actually very rarely that a cemetery is vandalized when you actually look at it statistically.

              I remember as a kid we had a cemetery out in the woods, in the middle of nowhere it seemed. You had to walk a path into the woods a few minutes off the road to find it, and the path was so overgrown you had to know just where it was or you'd get lost! It seemed to be a family plot, and I think it's now in someones back yard with all the development thats been going on in the area. It used to be a peaceful place. Yes, as a kid I hung out in abandoned graveyards.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Lost New Hampshire Cemeteries

                The NH Old Graveyard Association maintains a web site that gives the location of over 4,700 NH cemeteries and graveyards, many of them "abandoned". See http://www.nhoga.org. If you find a NH graveyard that is not in this database, please let NHOGA know where it is so it can be added. See the contact information of the web site.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Lost New Hampshire Cemeteries

                  Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  The NH Old Graveyard Association maintains a web site that gives the location of over 4,700 NH cemeteries and graveyards, many of them "abandoned". See http://www.nhoga.org. If you find a NH graveyard that is not in this database, please let NHOGA know where it is so it can be added. See the contact information of the web site.
                  Thanks for posting this. I was excited to see it in your post. But... I just checked their website and it doesnt look like there has been anything added to the site since 2004! Copyright date is 1998-2002.

                  Nice thought though

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Lost New Hampshire Cemeteries

                    There is a lot of information on the site though. I just used the site and I was able to locate a cemetery near my house that has been neglected for decades. I contacted the town about it a few times to see if I can get in there to clean it up but never heard back from anyone.

                    Will keep trying.

                    Thanks for the post!
                    Matt Goodwin
                    Admin
                    NHTourGuide.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Lost New Hampshire Cemeteries

                      We just added a new website to our list of NH sites that may be helpful at some point. Its a list of NH Graveyards with Headstone Listings. We are looking for contributors if anyone is interested. You can sign up right on the site.

                      Not much on the site now but there are a few listings starting to get added.
                      Matt Goodwin
                      Admin
                      NHTourGuide.com

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X