Old Deer Park Hotel in North Woodstock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Deer Park Hotel in North Woodstock

Hi, I'm not sure if there is anyone here that can help me, but it doesn't hurt to ask I understand that one of the old NH grand hotels (Deer Park Hotel) once stood on the site of what is now Deer Park Resort in North Woodstock. Just curious if there is anyone out there that remembers the place and could tell me what they know about it. Many thanks!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi, I'm not sure if there is anyone here that can help me, but it doesn't hurt to ask I understand that one of the old NH grand hotels (Deer Park Hotel) once stood on the site of what is now Deer Park Resort in North Woodstock. Just curious if there is anyone out there that remembers the place and could tell me what they know about it. Many thanks!
    Sounds familiar but I am not sure if im thinking of the same place. How loong ago was it that Deer Park Hotel was there?

Comment

My grandmother used to stay there once upon a time. Here are some pictures of Deer Park Hotel back in the late 1800's:

This is one with a stagecoach in front of the hotel

another with a stagecoach. Deer Park Hotel is in the background
      Last edited by RVGuy; 12-03-2010, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Deer Park Hotel

the hotel in the photo looks a lot like the mt washington hotel on rt. 302

Comment

The stagecoaches are really cool. Nice touch for the photos of Deer Park Hotel!
          Matt Goodwin
          Admin
          NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Thanks

[QUOTE=RVGuy;525]My grandmother used to stay there once upon a time. Here are some pictures of Deer Park Hotel back in the late 1800's:

So you grandmother stayed at Deer Park? That's neat...it's such a beautiful building - it's such a shame the it was destroyed by fire in the 1950's...most of those old hotels were torn down in the 60's and 70's anyway, because of the costs involved in upkeep, so it's unlikely it would have been around today...the pics are great - thanks for posting those!

Comment

So you grandmother stayed at Deer Park? That's neat...it's such a beautiful building - it's such a shame the it was destroyed by fire in the 1950's...most of those old hotels were torn down in the 60's and 70's anyway, because of the costs involved in upkeep, so it's unlikely it would have been around today...the pics are great - thanks for posting those!
              Yes, from what my mother told me, my grandmother worked at many of the hotels in NH. She stayed at the hotels while she worked there because travel was not quite as easy back then. I guess it was a common thing. Anyways, I remember she had photos all over her house of different hotels she worked at and of her with famous people (mostly NH politicians).

I didn't realize it burned down... too bad some of these old hotels aren't still around

Comment

Originally posted by RVGuy View Post
                Yes, from what my mother told me, my grandmother worked at many of the hotels in NH. She stayed at the hotels while she worked there because travel was not quite as easy back then. I guess it was a common thing. Anyways, I remember she had photos all over her house of different hotels she worked at and of her with famous people (mostly NH politicians).

I didn't realize it burned down... too bad some of these old hotels aren't still around
                Your Grandmother sounds like she was quite the lady - I bet those pics she had were fun to look at!

I think the Deer Park burned down in 1952, almost 60 years ago...there isn't anything really on the condo grounds now that dates back to the hotel...there was an outbuilding that the condos used for maintenace equip, but that got hit by llightening a few years ago and burned as well...

Comment

Re: Old Deer Park Hotel in North Woodstock

The Deer Park Hotel burned down in the early fifties. It was a lovely genteel place that was operated by the Durocher and Grimm families in its last grand years. Norman Grimm was the inside guy; his brother-in-law, Joe Durocher was the outside guy. Various other of the Durocher family participated. Norman Grimm and Larry Durocher were best friends and roommates at Harvard '29. Durocher married Grimm's former girlfriend and Grimm married Durocher's sister. Grimm was involved with the development of Brandeis University where he designed and managed the student dining services.

After the hotel was lost, a condominium project was built on the site.

Joe Durocher, Jr. was the youngest of "the cousins" when the hotel burned but was the only one in the family ot be bitten by the hospitality bug. He went to Columbia and then Cornell Graduate School of hotel and restaurant management. A PhD, Joe Durocher taught at Cornell and later started a similar program at NYU and UNH. He died in 2009.

Comment

The Deer Park Hotel burned down in the early fifties. It was a lovely genteel place that was operated by the Durocher and Grimm families in its last grand years. Norman Grimm was the inside guy; his brother-in-law, Joe Durocher was the outside guy. Various other of the Durocher family participated. Norman Grimm and Larry Durocher were best friends and roommates at Harvard '29. Durocher married Grimm's former girlfriend and Grimm married Durocher's sister. Grimm was involved with the development of Brandeis University where he designed and managed the student dining services.

Joe Durocher, Jr. was the youngest of "the cousins" when the hotel burned but was the only one in the family ot be bitten by the hospitality bug. He went to Columbia and then Cornell Graduate School of hotel and restaurant management. A PhD, Joe Durocher taught at Cornell and later started a similar program at NYU and UNH. He died in 2009.
                    wish the deer park hotel was still around. looking at the pictures its looks like it would have been quite the hotel to go to. reminds me of the mt washington hotel.

Comment

Hi, I started this thread in hopes to read info such as this. Thanks so much!

My husband & I bought a condo at Deer Park four years ago and shortly afterwards discovered that a grand hotel once stood on the site. Being a bit of a history buff, I've been looking for info on the hotel ever since, and recently have started a blog to share what little I know and in hopes that people will come forward and share what they know as well...I'll post a link to my blog in case anyone is interested in taking a look...

http://deerparkhotelnorthwoodstock.blogspot.com/
                      (Make sure you hit "older posts" to see everything that I have posted)

I do remember reading someplace that two friends from Newton, MA owned the hotel when it burned. (June 23, 1952 - will be 59 years this week) At the time, many of those old hotels were falling into disrepair because of the costs involved in upkeep - but that wasn't the case with the Deer Park. It had always been well maintained and was a popular place to stay right up until the end...it's still a lovely piece of property with the condo development...

Thanks again!
                      Last edited by mommyroo; 06-20-2011, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Here is a picture, 1915. Grandmother also visited. Interesting history, I'm glad people have posted so I could find out too what the picture was.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by alan drake View Post
                          Here is a picture, 1915. Grandmother also visited. Interesting history, I'm glad people have posted so I could find out too what the picture was.

Thats a nice photo! Thanks for sharing! Is this a postcard? Curious... Was there anything written about the Deer Park Hotel that was with or on the back of the photo?
                          Matt Goodwin
                          Admin
                          NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Originally posted by alan drake View Post
                            Wow...in all my Deer Park Hotel research, I have never come across a photo of the rear of the hotel...fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing that... I have photos of the interior if anyone is interested...let me know and I will be happy to share...

Comment

Guest commented
                              Editing a comment
                              please show me them photos of interior

It is a photo, did check back on both - no more info. Glade I found, do have one of the Old Mount Washington. Most of pictures in album are of relatives, now if I can determine who they are. Seems we never pay attention to the past until we can no longer figure it out.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x

Which state is west of NH?

Working...
                            X