Wedding Ceremony

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding Ceremony

I am beginning to plan my wedding and I have fell in love with the covered bridges all over the state. My dream is to have the ceremony at the entrance or to the side of a bridge. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this before or had any advice on whom to contact or what permits might be needed to make this a reality.

Re: Wedding Ceremony

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am beginning to plan my wedding and I have fell in love with the covered bridges all over the state. My dream is to have the ceremony at the entrance or to the side of a bridge. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this before or had any advice on whom to contact or what permits might be needed to make this a reality.
    Hi,

Welcome to the NHTG forum!

I have heard of this before. As a matter of fact we know a couple that got married at a covered bridge in NH. Their plan was to see every covered bridge in New Hampshire and when they were done get married at one of them, which they did.

All you need to do is chose which covered bridge you want to get married at and contact the town where the bridge is located. Some towns are more receptive to this than others. But it should be just a matter of getting a permit. I believe it may be a Permit to Assemble, but I am not sure on that. You have every right to be there if it's public property, but to organize a group may require a permit.

Let us know how you make out!
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

My husband & I were married in the spring of 1997 on the Swift River Bridge in Conway. A JP married us and we didn't need a permit. But it was just the two of us and two attendants, so that may make a difference. The one thing that I will mention is at the time, we needed to apply for our marrage license three days before the ceremony (at the town hall) and were required to stay in NH during that time. So that is something you may need to look into.

That wedding comes with a funny story though...we had rented a condo and invited anyone who could come & stay. However, the April Fool's blizzard hit the Boston area that week, so it made travel impossible for most. Who would think the weather in Conway would be awesome and there would be feet of snow back at home???...

Our wedding was lovely and we had a wonderful time...to this day I don't regret having a big crazy wedding...so...

I say go for it - best wishes to you both!
      Last edited by mommyroo; 12-19-2011, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I would be afraid that traffic would stop on the bridge, is it even legal to have a wedding on a public road in NH?

Comment

A wedding is the ceremony in which two people are united in marriage or a similar institution. Wedding traditions and customs vary greatly between cultures, ethnic groups, religions, countries, and social classes. Most wedding ceremonies involve an exchange of wedding vows by the couple, presentation of a gift (offering, ring(s), symbolic item, flowers, money), and a public proclamation of marriage by an authority figure or leader. Special wedding garments are often worn, and the ceremony is sometimes followed by a wedding reception. Music, poetry, prayers or readings from religious texts or literature are also commonly incorporated into the ceremony.
          Last edited by Alvasin; 03-01-2012, 08:48 AM.

Comment

On September 14th 1979 a wedding party was on the Bedell covered bridge in Haverhill NH having rehersal when extreme high winds, stated as a hurricane, some have said it was a tornado, destroyed the bridge pinning some members of the wedding party in the debris in the connecticut river. Several party members were injured including the bride who suffered a broken leg.

Comment

Originally posted by mchaplin55 View Post
              On September 14th 1979 a wedding party was on the Bedell covered bridge in Haverhill NH having rehersal when extreme high winds, stated as a hurricane, some have said it was a tornado, destroyed the bridge pinning some members of the wedding party in the debris in the connecticut river. Several party members were injured including the bride who suffered a broken leg.
              Looking at the pictures of what is left of the Bedell Covered Bridge site it looks like it was a large bridge in its day. Wikipedia mentioned that the bridge was rebuilt in 1978 and rededicated on July 22, 1979 and was the 5th bridge at that site. That bridge didn't last long.
              Matt Goodwin
              Admin
              NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x

Name a STATE that NH shares a border with.

Working...
              X