Mt Washington

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt Washington

Who was the first person to climb Mt Washington?

Re: Mt Washington

hummm... maybe a caveman?

I dont think this question can be accurately answered since Mt. Washington has been there way before we have.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Who was the first person to climb Mt Washington?
      I have to agree, there really is no way of accurately answering that question. It's very likely that the first person that climbed Mt. Washington was not documented. Even if documentation was provided, I would doubt it would be accurate.
      Matt Goodwin
      Admin
      NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Hey Matt! How about this question then: Who was the first person to drive up the Mount Washington auto rd?

besides the workers of coarse!

Comment

Ok, I did find out a little information. It is recorded that in 1642, Darby Field from Exeter NH was the first person on record to climb up Mount Washington. But again, that is just the first person on record to climb to the peak of Mt. Washington. I'm sure one of our Ape ancestors climbed it before Darby Field did.

The Mt. Washington Auto Road actually opened as the "Mt. Washington Carriage Road" in 1861 and is the oldest man-made attraction in the United States.

The first person to drive to the summit of Mount Washington was the owner of a local hotel, Col. Joseph Thompson. Col. Joseph Thompson rode up in his horse-drawn carriage three weeks prior to the official opening with a photographer to prove he was the first person to drive the Mt. Washington Auto Road. Rumor has it that he had a rival business owner (an unnamed hotel owner) that he didn't want beating him to the historical first drive up the mountain. This was the reason for his early drive up the Mt. Wash Auto Rd.

And just to answer the next questions that im sure will come up if I didn't mention them J - - -

The Cog Railway to the summit was built in 1869 and I was not able to yet figure out who the first person to ride the Cog Railroad train was, but I would assume it was another local business owner and if I really had to guess, I would say it was one of the two hotel owners mentioned above.

The first motorized car to make the drive up the Mount Washington Auto Road was in 1899 by Freelan O. Stanley, the owner of the Stanley Steamer Car Company and of course he drove his company car, the Stanley Steamer. 3 years later the first gasoline powered car reached the summit.

And now to really push the envelope on Mount Washington Auto Road Facts….
          (Actually this was easier since it was just a few months ago).

The fastest recorded drive up the Mt. Washington Auto Road was 6 mininutes, 21.47 seconds on September 8, 2010 by Subaru Rally Team USA driver Travis Pastrana during a test run for the 2011 Climb to the Clouds race (a Red Bull Speed Chasers event). The test session by Vermont SportsCar along with the Mt. Washington Auto Road officials was used to check the safety of the annual event prior to the 2011 Climb to the Clouds race.

Did I miss any facts about the Mt. Washington Auto Road?
          Matt Goodwin
          Admin
          NHTourGuide.com

Comment

nice work!!!

Comment

Interesting! I didn't know that the auto road used to be called the Mount Washington Carriage Road! Been up the auto road many times and never saw anything about it at the observation center on the peak. I will pay more attention next time!

Comment

Originally posted by NHTourGuide View Post
                The fastest recorded drive up the Mt. Washington Auto Road was 6 mininutes, 21.47 seconds on September 8, 2010 by Subaru Rally Team USA driver Travis Pastrana during a test run for the 2011 Climb to the Clouds race (a Red Bull Speed Chasers event). The test session by Vermont SportsCar along with the Mt. Washington Auto Road officials was used to check the safety of the annual event prior to the 2011 Climb to the Clouds race.
                What?? Thats an average of just under 72 MPH! Are you sure about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  What?? Thats an average of just under 72 MPH! Are you sure about this?
                  Thats right! I know its hard to believe but this guy did it, its on video here.
                  Matt Goodwin
                  Admin
                  NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Originally posted by NHTourGuide View Post
                    Thats right! I know its hard to believe but this guy did it, its on video here.
                    OMG thats nuts! I have to admit I doubted your information but watching the video is enough proof for me!

Comment

Yeah, I guess you do have to see it for yourself. When the car went around the corner with its wheels off the ground, it sure made the clip a little more powerful.

Good thing a moose didn't walk out of the woods onto the Auto Road. It is New Hampshire, and on Mt. Washington. I suppose the helicopter would have seen it, but I wonder if they had communication with the driver.
                      Matt Goodwin
                      Admin
                      NHTourGuide.com

Comment

If anyone wants to know about the history and tragedy of the White Mountains, read a book called "Not Without Peril" by Nicholas Howe. It describes the early hikers and the dangers and deaths that have happened throughout history on the Presidential Range. Read it and you'll have a lot more respect for the dangers of these peaks.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x

Name a STATE that NH shares a border with.

Working...
                        X