Mt. Washington Auto Road by Motorcycle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt. Washington Auto Road by Motorcycle

We drove up the Mt. Washington Auto Rd on our motorcycles and found it to be quite an experience! At the base of the mountain it was in the 90's and sunny but as we drove higher and higher the tempertures cooled off drastically and got very cloudy, very fast.

Once we were at the peak of the mountain we got some hot coffee and relaxed before heading back down the mountain. It was nice to feel it warming up as we decended down the auto road!

When we got to the bottom of Mt. Washington it was back to the 90's again!

Very cool!

Re: Mt. Washington Auto Road by Motorcycle

We are heading up to the Mnt Washington roadway on bikes in a week and were wondering if you could fill us in on what to expect on a bike on the roadway up the mountain? We read about the drastic temp change but we have never been up the mountain so have no idea what it will be like or if we should just park at the bottom and take the tour tram up. We all have a lot of riding experience, probably so much so that it is the experience that is telling me to ask prior to trying the ride. Can you please tell me what the roadway is like, the incline, what to expect, to do/not to do, etc? I am on a 2001 Gold wing and the others are on a homemade Harley trike and a
    larger Triumph. Thank you very much for your input.
    robokp66

Comment

Re: Mt. Washington Auto Road by Motorcycle

Originally posted by robokp66 View Post
      We are heading up to the Mnt Washington roadway on bikes in a week and were wondering if you could fill us in on what to expect on a bike on the roadway up the mountain? We read about the drastic temp change but we have never been up the mountain so have no idea what it will be like or if we should just park at the bottom and take the tour tram up. We all have a lot of riding experience, probably so much so that it is the experience that is telling me to ask prior to trying the ride. Can you please tell me what the roadway is like, the incline, what to expect, to do/not to do, etc? I am on a 2001 Gold wing and the others are on a homemade Harley trike and a
      larger Triumph. Thank you very much for your input.
      robokp66
      You will really enjoy the ride if you're an avid rider. The ride up you might find yourself searching for the right gear. I know I did but my gear ratio will differ from yours. The steepness of the Auto Road changes also, so you will need to deal with that. If you have no one behind you its much more enjoyable, so consider puling over often to enjoy the views. There are plenty of places to pull off.

Once you get to the parking area at the summit there will be a set of wooden stairs going to the observation deck. I am a bit "big bones" so these stairs challenge me every time I go. The thin air up there is alot of the problem.

Coming down will test your braking ability. Again, you will want to make frequent stops and ride in a low gear so the engine slows yor down.

I have rode the mountain in an SUV, a Car, a pick up truck and a motorcycle now and by far, the motorcycle offers the best experience and if you're not so good with heights you can stay closer to the inside of the road, away from the 2,000 foor drop offs that make me nervous.

I don't think I would like to be in the back seat of a tour van. I think I would freak.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x

What is the name of the COUNTRY that NH shares a border with?

Working...
      X