bioling down sap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bioling down sap

once i start boiling sap down .lets say i have 75 gallons do i have to finish in one process or can i let the fire go out and start the next morning

Re: bioling down sap

Originally posted by red Maple View Post
    once i start boiling sap down .lets say i have 75 gallons do i have to finish in one process or can i let the fire go out and start the next morning
    You can let the sap sit overnight and start again in the morning. Don't let it sit too long though as the sap can spoil like milk. If you can start boiliing the sap again cover it and stick it in the fridge.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Thanks For the info last year i made a gallon of syrup and it took me 14 hours this year i plan on 2 gallons. glad i don,t have to stay up for 28 hours .thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by RED MAPLE View Post
        Thanks For the info last year i made a gallon of syrup and it took me 14 hours this year i plan on 2 gallons. glad i don,t have to stay up for 28 hours .thanks again
        You're welcome!

It does take a long time if you have a backyard maple sugaring operation. I do the same thing. It takes a long time. I tend to keep the boiling pans full and get the fire going a little before I go to bed, the next morning many times the sap is still warm and I still have some coals to restart the fire.

Last year we did 4 gallons, this year I am not going to do that to myself again... way too much work! Maybe a gallon this year
        Matt Goodwin
        Admin
        NHTourGuide.com

Comment

We often found that overnight would give us a boost in the evaporation. Make sure your pan has enough to provide for the longer time simmering. It is surprising how much it can go down. Good luck and great fun!

Comment

Anyone seeing a lot of sap running this year? I hear some people saying they aren't getting much at all so far.
            Matt Goodwin
            Admin
            NHTourGuide.com

Comment

I agree. It is a very late year. 3/22 is running good though, just started again. I have collected 25 gallons from about 25 small trees in the past two weeks. It is getting too cold at night on my property in Bow, NH. Hopefully I will be able to collect enough tonight to pull off my first gallon tomorrow. I was thinking I missed the season, not putting my taps out until the first of march, but I've heard that most people are not getting much sweetwater yet. I'm going to stay with it, the next few days look like it is going to freeze up again. I wonder how people up north are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt C. View Post
                I agree. It is a very late year. 3/22 is running good though, just started again. I have collected 25 gallons from about 25 small trees in the past two weeks. It is getting too cold at night on my property in Bow, NH. Hopefully I will be able to collect enough tonight to pull off my first gallon tomorrow. I was thinking I missed the season, not putting my taps out until the first of march, but I've heard that most people are not getting much sweetwater yet. I'm going to stay with it, the next few days look like it is going to freeze up again. I wonder how people up north are doing.
                Ya doesn't look like a good week ahead for maple sugaring! We did head out to some of the sap houses for Maple Weekend in Loudon. One place had its production numbers posted and it appeared to be going down with their best week at the end of February. Lets hope it aint over before it started!

It does seem like everything is running late though... even the skunks are normally out in force by the beginning of March, but nothing. I do see lots of deer where the snow pack has melted so they look hungry! Maybe its just a late season.
                Matt Goodwin
                Admin
                NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x

Which STATE is east of NH?

Working...
                X