Driving on Kancamagus in mid November 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving on Kancamagus in mid November 2017

I am from California and I am planning to take my kids (2-year old and 6 year old) to for the first time in New Hampshire on Veterans day weekend November 12 to 14. How is the Kancamagus Highway in November? Any precautions that I need to be aware about? I will be driving from North Conway, NH.
    Also many attractions are closed. Foliage is mostly gone by this time. Any tips for kids outdoor activities will be appreciated.

Regards,

Amethyst

Hi Amethyst,

Welcome to the forum! We drove the Kancamagus last Wednesday and all was ok, there is some working being done at Sabbaday Falls so that parking area was closed.

We did just have a big storm last Sunday which knocked out power to most of the state, flooded many places and took down a lot of trees. Most of this has been cleaned up and power restored to many in New Hampshire, but you might run into a few closed back roads or high water levels in some places. I noticed yesterday the Merrimack River was still high. You will want to be careful around any water related attractions as flooding may have made the banks of streams and rivers a bit unstable, and of course rushing water is always a hazard.

We do have an extensive, and always growing list of things to do in New Hampshire that you might find useful.

If you are driving down the Kancamagus you may also want to drive Route 302 which runs parallel with the Kanc, and in my opinion is a nice ride to compliment the Kanc, makes a nice loop back to Conway. The area does have a moose and bear population so going around sunrise, or just prior is best to see moose on the Kancamagus and/or Rt. 302.

The good part of coming to the Kancamagus after the foliage season is there are a lot less tourists! In fact we avoid the Kancamagus during foliage season because of the traffic. This is the time of year we prefer to visit the Kanc ourselves.

If moose watching is something of interest you can also drive to "Moose Alley" in Pittsburg NH.

If you like covered bridges, we do have a list of covered bridges in NH.

Let us know if you need more info!

Be sure to come back and let us know how your trip goes!
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x

Which STATE is east of NH?

Working...
    X