bears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bears

My family and I are going camping camping this weekend on the Kanc. We have been going for years and years. However, for some reason this year, I am petrified of bears! I think it all stemmed from last year, when we saw a mother bear and her baby in the back of our campsite, and it completely scared the heck out of me! Should I have any reason to be scared of going camping this year? I know this is sort of a weird post, but i really enjoy camping and would hate to miss out on a fun trip because of my fears.

Re: bears

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My family and I are going camping camping this weekend on the Kanc. We have been going for years and years. However, for some reason this year, I am petrified of bears! I think it all stemmed from last year, when we saw a mother bear and her baby in the back of our campsite, and it completely scared the heck out of me! Should I have any reason to be scared of going camping this year? I know this is sort of a weird post, but i really enjoy camping and would hate to miss out on a fun trip because of my fears.
    Bear attacks are extremely rare, even more rare are bear attacks in New Hampshire. Always use caution with bears and follow the guidelines posted at the campgrounds and kiosks along the Kancamagus Highway. I have seen bears in NH here and there and even bears with a few cubs. We were close, but not by choice, the bear surprised us and even with her cubs nearby, the mother bear was not too worried about our presence.

I was once chased by a moose that had her calf nearby, she made it very clear I was too close to her and her baby. So when I go up to the Kanc, I have a bigger phobia of Moose myself. - I still camp on the Kancamagus myself as well as hike the trails, just be aware and be prepared.

Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

thank you matt for the response to my question. now i have a fear of moose! hahaha just kidding...obviously while being in the woods, we need to take precaution and be aware of our surroundings, and just remember we are in their neighborhood! like i said i have been camping up at the kanc for many years in a row, and was just curious what other people had to say about my legitimate fear. last year was the only year i had seen a bear up close, and she just walked on by with her baby, didn't really seem to even notice us. well anyway, thanks again for your advice!

Comment

thank you matt for the response to my question. now i have a fear of moose! hahaha just kidding...obviously while being in the woods, we need to take precaution and be aware of our surroundings, and just remember we are in their neighborhood! like i said i have been camping up at the kanc for many years in a row, and was just curious what other people had to say about my legitimate fear. last year was the only year i had seen a bear up close, and she just walked on by with her baby, didn't really seem to even notice us. well anyway, thanks again for your advice!
        You're welcome

Bears are intimidating up close! The last bear we saw was standing next to a picnic table in someone's back yard and the bear's back was as tall as the table.

Last year we were cutting wood in the woods in Pittsfield and we heard a very loud gunshot not far from where we were. I jumped about a foot off the ground. We found out afterwards that someone had shot a 400 pound black bear. Apparently bears don't mind chain saws and falling trees either. I was shocked with all the commotion that a bear would be in the area!
        Matt Goodwin
        Admin
        NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Originally posted by NHTourGuide View Post
          You're welcome

Bears are intimidating up close! The last bear we saw was standing next to a picnic table in someone's back yard and the bear's back was as tall as the table.

Last year we were cutting wood in the woods in Pittsfield and we heard a very loud gunshot not far from where we were. I jumped about a foot off the ground. We found out afterwards that someone had shot a 400 pound black bear. Apparently bears don't mind chain saws and falling trees either. I was shocked with all the commotion that a bear would be in the area!
          Is it legal to shoot bears in NH? I've heard of hunting moose and deer, but never bears...

Comment

Is it legal to shoot bears in NH? I've heard of hunting moose and deer, but never bears...
            NH does have a black bear hunting season. The state maintains a population at an estimated 4,800 bears. Last year 706 bear were taken during the 2010 hunting season. In 2009, 755 bears were taken during the hunting season. The bear hunting season usually starts September 1. Depending on the Wildlife Management Unit being hunted, hunting can end anywhere between Sept. 21 and Nov. 22

Most bears in New Hampshire are located in the White mountain region, estimated at 1 bear per square mile. The rest of NH has half of that population of bears, except the seacoast region which is far less.

Bear hunters in NH are subject to many rules and hunting methods are also controlled, so hunters need to stay informed of changes to the rules and requirements.

NH has quite the assortment of hunted game:
            Deer
            Moose
            Bears
            Turkey
            Pheasant
            Geese
            Ducks
            Crows
            Squirrel
            Fox
            Coyote
            Rabbit
            Woodcock
            Grouse
            Skunk
            Opossum
            Weasel
            Racoon
            Fisher Cats
            Woodchucks
            And I'm sure I am forgetting a few others...
            Matt Goodwin
            Admin
            NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x

Name a STATE that NH shares a border with.

Working...
            X