Trail question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail question

Hi - I'm thinking about hiking and camping overnight along one of the Kancamangus trails this summer. Can you suggest a not-too-difficult trail, say 4 to 6 miles round-trip, with a place to pitch a tent? Also, I'd rather not encounter bears along the way - are there any trails that tend to have fewer bears than others, or that are busy enough to keep them at bay? Thanks in advance.

Re: Trail question

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi - I'm thinking about hiking and camping overnight along one of the Kancamangus trails this summer. Can you suggest a not-too-difficult trail, say 4 to 6 miles round-trip, with a place to pitch a tent? Also, I'd rather not encounter bears along the way - are there any trails that tend to have fewer bears than others, or that are busy enough to keep them at bay? Thanks in advance.
    Hi,
    Welcome to the NHTG forum! The UNH trail at the Kancamagus is a 4.8 mile loop. Here is a list of all of the Kancamagus Hiking Trails.

As far as bears at the Kancamagus.... well I don't think I can help too much with that other than to say I have never seen a bear there either during a ride on the Kanc or a camping trip but there are bears there. The forest rangers are very strict about leaving food out. Be sure you hang your food away from your campsite. Bears can smell food 5 miles away, so be careful! If you encounter a bear never turn your back on it and step away slowly, never run. Make loud noises and puff yourself up, put your hands up so you look bigger. Common sense will go a long way, make sure your read the rules and warning signs about bears at the Kancamagus and you'll be ok.

Have a fun trip...
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Thank you for getting back so quickly. I guess we'll try the UNH trail or maybe Sawyer pond - haven't decided which one yet. Both sound good and Sawyer seems to have a camping/tenting area near the pond.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Thank you for getting back so quickly. I guess we'll try the UNH trail or maybe Sawyer pond - haven't decided which one yet. Both sound good and Sawyer seems to have a camping/tenting area near the pond.
        You're welcome! Glad to have you on the forum!

Most trails are well traveled and people make campsites along the trails, so you should be ok finding a spot out there.

Be sure to let us know how the hike goes. Hopefully the bears stay away!
        Matt Goodwin
        Admin
        NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

What is the name of the COUNTRY that NH shares a border with?

Working...
        X