camping on kancamagus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camping on kancamagus

I went camping with my mom a few years ago on the highway, but she doesn't remember what campsite or how much it costs. Anyone know of a relatively nice campground near the slow moving river? I remember being able to walk through a trail to the river, it was really nice and lots of fun, I want to bring my son there. Must allow dogs, and no breed restrictions (meaning I can bring my american pit bull terrier puppy). Doesn't need to have showers but looking for something relatively cheap, I can't afford much because I have to rent a car. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I'm looking for closer to the lower end of the highway so I can go to the beach after :-)

Re: camping on kancamagus

Originally posted by pittiegrl24 View Post
    I went camping with my mom a few years ago on the highway, but she doesn't remember what campsite or how much it costs. Anyone know of a relatively nice campground near the slow moving river? I remember being able to walk through a trail to the river, it was really nice and lots of fun, I want to bring my son there. Must allow dogs, and no breed restrictions (meaning I can bring my american pit bull terrier puppy). Doesn't need to have showers but looking for something relatively cheap, I can't afford much because I have to rent a car. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I'm looking for closer to the lower end of the highway so I can go to the beach after :-)
    Hi! Welcome to the NHTG forum!

All of the campgrounds on the Kancamagus are nice (IMO). Big Rock Campground, Jigger Johnson Campground and Big Rock Campground are closest to the Swift River if I remember correctly. Hancock, Passaconaway and Blackberry Crossing are on the other site (South side of the Kancamagus Highway).

Only one campground on the Kancamagus has showers, Jigger Johnson Campground. The showers are coin operated.

All Kanc Campgrounds allow dogs as long as they are leashed and quiet.

All the Kancamagus campgrounds are cheap, only $20/night (bring cash or a check).

The closest campground to the beach is on the far East side of the Kancamagus Highway, Covered Bridge Campground. That campground allows reservations 877-444-6777 to make a reservation.

Have fun!
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Originally posted by NHTourGuide View Post
      Hi! Welcome to the NHTG forum!

All of the campgrounds on the Kancamagus are nice (IMO). Big Rock Campground, Jigger Johnson Campground and Big Rock Campground are closest to the Swift River if I remember correctly. Hancock, Passaconaway and Blackberry Crossing are on the other site (South side of the Kancamagus Highway).

Only one campground on the Kancamagus has showers, Jigger Johnson Campground. The showers are coin operated.

All Kanc Campgrounds allow dogs as long as they are leashed and quiet.

All the Kancamagus campgrounds are cheap, only $20/night (bring cash or a check).

The closest campground to the beach is on the far East side of the Kancamagus Highway, Covered Bridge Campground. That campground allows reservations 877-444-6777 to make a reservation.

Have fun!
      Ooooh thanks so much!!!! How long are these campgrounds open until? I wanted to go in july but I probably won't be able to until august now :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Ooooh thanks so much!!!! How long are these campgrounds open until? I wanted to go in july but I probably won't be able to until august now :-(
        You're welcome! The campgrounds on the Kanc are open until fall, 2 of them are open year-round
        Matt Goodwin
        Admin
        NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Hey Mr. NH Guide Man, we are planning on coming up to the Kanc on 7/1, do you think it is remotely possible to find a campground with availability during this weekend? We are driving a long distance and now are wondering if we can even find a place, thanks for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Hey Mr. NH Guide Man, we are planning on coming up to the Kanc on 7/1, do you think it is remotely possible to find a campground with availability during this weekend? We are driving a long distance and now are wondering if we can even find a place, thanks for your time.
            Hey! Welcome to the NHTG forum!

From what I have heard, people are surprised to find a campsite when they go up to the Kancamagus the last couple of years, so if this year is the same you will be ok. As an alternative, the Covered Bridge Campground on the Kancamagus Scenic Byway allows reservations. Call the 877-444-6777 to make a reservation. All the other campgrounds are first come, first serve which makes it very hard for people traveling up. Even we get nervous going up there with no reservation and we're only an hour and a half away.

Do let us know how you make out.... Love to get the latest updates.
            Matt Goodwin
            Admin
            NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x

Which STATE is east of NH?

Working...
            X