Wildflowers on Kancamagus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildflowers on Kancamagus?

Hi: New to forum. Amateur photographer. My wife and I are from Michigan, planning to visit NH this spring. Searched the net without success for best time to view wildflowers along the Kancamagus or even the White Mountain National Scenic Byway. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Re: Wildflowers on Kancamagus?

Welcome to the forum! I have done a little amateur wildflower photography in the past, not that I was seeking out wildflowers but happened to catch them. I've seen lady slippers in the snow but don't remember what time of year that was exactly. My best half-educated guess would be Mid-June would be the best time for wildflower photos on the Kancamagus Scenic Byway.

Are you planning your trip around wildflower photography? If so I can try to get more information for you.

Comment

Thanks so much for responding. We do have some flexibility in the timing and wildflowers are a priority. <Chuckle>, aligning vacation schedules are, admittedly, a higher priority. We were leaning towards May-ish, but it looks like early June would be better. Quick aside, I had also contacted the Franconia Notch folks, who sent me to this forum. Any other recommendations would be very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by swtrekker View Post
        Thanks so much for responding. We do have some flexibility in the timing and wildflowers are a priority. <Chuckle>, aligning vacation schedules are, admittedly, a higher priority. We were leaning towards May-ish, but it looks like early June would be better. Quick aside, I had also contacted the Franconia Notch folks, who sent me to this forum. Any other recommendations would be very helpful.
        I think the good news is that there are wildflowers out all season, just different types come and go as with anywhere im sure. Mid to late summer the daisies are out and I do remember seeing daisies along the Kancamagus.

You might be ok in May but the frost danger lasts until Memorial Day Weekend typically.

Comment

Thanks RVGuy.

In case it helps anyone else, just got this info from the White Mountain National Forest, Pemigewasset Ranger District: "Kancamagus pass in May-June is always a good bet......also be sure to try route 93 North to Sugar Hill NH and Franconia at the same time."

Comment

Don't know much about photography but there is a Lupine Festival that has a photography contest (not for the flower itself I guess but of the event). Its a month-long event here in New Hampshire. Not exactly on the Kancamagus but thought you might be interested:

22nd Annual Celebration of Lupines

(Formerly known as The Fields of Lupine Festival)

Paying homage to the annual blossoming of this captivating wildflower, th Fields of Lupine Festival is a time honored regional event. The brilliant spikes of the lupine flower carpet local fields and pastures in a rolling sea of vibrant purples, inks, blues and whites. The long-lasting blossoms attract equally dazzling butterflies and create a breathtaking floral display against the majestic backdrop of the Franconia, Presidential, and Kinsman Mountain ranges. Every visitor is guaranteed abundant photo and recreational opportunities in the Northeast's most spectacular mountain region. Our local greenhouses and businesses will be offering lupine plants and seeds so you to start your own field of lupine.

To enhance your visit to this tune honored celebration, download the Fields of Lupine Booklet HERE. The booklet contains a Map of the Area with suggested scenic tours, the Calendar of Events and Discount Coupons for specials & shopping from many members and sponsors of the 2015 Annual Celebration of Lupines.

2015 Lupine Celebration
            Photo Contest

Harman's Cheese & Country Store has organized a unique Lupine Celebration Photo Contest. There is much to do in Sugar Hill, surrounding villages and towns, while the Annual Celebration of Lupines continues throughout June. Thanks to the success of GM Fotography workshops at the annual Open Air Market days, two photo contest opportunities will be offered for attendees and visitors throughout the month long celebration.

Contest #1 - A Photo that Captures a "Moment" of the Lupine Celebration.
            Contest #2 - For Market Photography Workshop Attendees Only.

This photo contest is all about celebrating while you're here and capturing the moment, or memory!
            Click here for details and application.

Details and Application

Sign form and mail to: Harman's Cheese, PO Box 624 Sugar Hill, NH 03586
            Or sign and scan the form and email, with photos to:
            cheese@harmanscheese.com.
            Lisa
            Life IS a bowl of cherries, I don't care what your mother said!

Comment

Oh CatGirl! You beat me to it again!! lol It just came to me right before I saw your post! Good work!!

PS: I noticed the details and application was last years, just so you know.

Comment

Oops, thanks for pointing that out!
                Lisa

Comment

Thank you very much CatGirl! I found the site: Franconia Notch Chamber of Commerce. I couldn't find an email but I did find a phone number -- will give them a call.

The application mentions George Mitchell of GM Fotography -- found his web site and sent him an email.

Will report back with any useful info.

Thank you all again

Comment

Sounds good! Keep us posted! I'd be curious how you make out!
                    Lisa

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x

What is the name of the COUNTRY that NH shares a border with?

Working...
                    X