what are my chances of getting a site on a friday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are my chances of getting a site on a friday

I plan on camping in this area on july 10th and staying 2 nights. what are the chances of me showing up on a friday afternoon and getting a site?

Re: what are my chances of getting a site on a friday

Hi,

Your chances are not good at all. Go as early as you can, have a back up plan! We went to the Kancamagus on a Friday in July last year and we were turned away along with other campers in front and behind us. Once you get to these campgrounds you basically have no cell service so you need to get off or almost off the Kancamagus Highway before being able to come up with a "Plan B".

When we went and all the campgrounds were full so we started calling other campgrounds and we found most of them near the Kancamagus were all full also. We ended up at Whit's End Campground - Such an appropriate name too! We were at our Whit's End when we called them!

So just be sure to have a Plan B!
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

We plan on hitting the Kanc before 10am this Friday looking for a campsite. How bad are our chances? I found one campsite open in Crawford notch at a private campground but it is non reservable because they do not accept one night reservations. That is my back up plan What are our chances at Jigger Johnson or Blackberry Crossing?

Comment

We were at Jigger Johnson 2 weekends ago and we watched the campers coming in, who stayed, who left, etc. That was race weekend and the weather forecast was not very good. With that, the "Full" sign was swinging on the sign post by 3pm. Fridays are always a gamble. Get there early!

As a side note, on Saturday 3 campers and 2 tents left. Probably because of the weather.
        Matt Goodwin
        Admin
        NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Thank you. We do plan on going early. It's possible we may have half our group go up thursday, we live 1.5 hours away. I appreciate the quick response!

Comment

If they go up Thursday just send your money and a few things to put on the site to show its taken. Sometimes we go up on Wednesday, pay for the site through the weekend and leave our camper.

Let us know how it goes! Always interested to hear
            Matt Goodwin
            Admin
            NHTourGuide.com

Comment

So we ended up at blackberry crossing. They had 3 sites open when we got there around 10am. White Ledge had 15 open and Jigger Johnson was full (camp hosts visit each other and share info). We drove down the Kanc to hike and several campgrounds did not have the full sign out when we drove by in am, but did as we drove back in the afternoon. Blackberry is close to the road but the hosts were very nice and it was clean and met our needs. The lesson here, go early!

Comment

Glad to see you got a campsite and had decent weather! We almost ended at at White Ledge Campground once. The camper was just a little too big for the campsite though. What trails did you hike on along the Kanc?

I have noticed if the weather forecast isn't great some people leave right before the weather comes in. Sometimes campers just had enough and want to go home so they leave early. The last time we were there a family from Pennsylvania left a few days early because their tent smelled like cat urine, so you just never know when or why a site will open up.
                Matt Goodwin
                Admin
                NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x

Which state is west of NH?

Working...
                X