Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming?

Hello,

Our family had been planning a trip to swim at the lower falls on Labor Day weekend (we were even bringing some people that have never been to the Kancamagus). Unfortunately, it appears this will not be happening due to construction.

Are there other spots on the river that allow swimming/wading/floating down river? If so, will they be as fun as the lower falls (I am quite positive the other waterfall locations don't allow swimming)? and where would they be located?

Thank you.

Re: Swimming?

Originally posted by Arcadian View Post
    Hello,

Our family had been planning a trip to swim at the lower falls on Labor Day weekend (we were even bringing some people that have never been to the Kancamagus). Unfortunately, it appears this will not be happening due to construction.

Are there other spots on the river that allow swimming/wading/floating down river? If so, will they be as fun as the lower falls (I am quite positive the other waterfall locations don't allow swimming)? and where would they be located?

Thank you.
    There are some other spots along the Kancamagus Highway in the Swift River. One spot we've been to a few times is just west of the Lower Falls area. Not nearly as good as Lower Falls but it is an alternative. The other popular waterfalls along the Kanc don't allow swimming. I believe if you hiked into the woods you could find a waterfall but then you would have to hike everyone in.

Have you considered tubing on the Saco River? There are a lot of companies that offer tube rentals for tubing on the Saco River. Many of the rental companies are in the Conway NH area on the east end of the Kancamagus Highway. They will even pick you up down the river after you're done.

We just went camping at Whit's End Campground in Ossipee NH and they sell tubes for tubing down the Bearcamp River. So we drove to the bridge near the campground and the river was moving fairly slowly so it took us two hours to get back to the camp site. It was a great time, which is why I mention floating down the Saco river in a tube. The Saco is a bit deeper and runs a little faster than Bearcamp River.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Originally posted by NHTourGuide View Post
      There are some other spots along the Kancamagus Highway in the Swift River. One spot we've been to a few times is just west of the Lower Falls area. Not nearly as good as Lower Falls but it is an alternative. The other popular waterfalls along the Kanc don't allow swimming. I believe if you hiked into the woods you could find a waterfall but then you would have to hike everyone in.

Have you considered tubing on the Saco River? There are a lot of companies that offer tube rentals for tubing on the Saco River. Many of the rental companies are in the Conway NH area on the east end of the Kancamagus Highway. They will even pick you up down the river after you're done.

We just went camping at Whit's End Campground in Ossipee NH and they sell tubes for tubing down the Bearcamp River. So we drove to the bridge near the campground and the river was moving fairly slowly so it took us two hours to get back to the camp site. It was a great time, which is why I mention floating down the Saco river in a tube. The Saco is a bit deeper and runs a little faster than Bearcamp River.
      Thank you for the advice!
      I think the Saco river tube trip would be a great idea. If not this year, then definitely next year!

Is there swimming near (not at) the other popular waterfalls (Rocky Gorge, Sabbaday, ect.) on the swift river? Is it something like swim/wade where you can, but just not in these specific locations? We are showing the beauty in our own backyard to some nature newbies, but the big drawing card for some in the group is actually going into the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcadian View Post
        Thank you for the advice!
        I think the Saco river tube trip would be a great idea. If not this year, then definitely next year!

Is there swimming near (not at) the other popular waterfalls (Rocky Gorge, Sabbaday, ect.) on the swift river? Is it something like swim/wade where you can, but just not in these specific locations? We are showing the beauty in our own backyard to some nature newbies, but the big drawing card for some in the group is actually going into the water.
        We always wanted to do the "tube ride down the Saco River" but havent had the chance yet. We were in Conway a couple weeks ago and the vans were everywhere picking up tubers. It was quite a sight and looked like a must do. Same here though, maybe next year at this point. Definitely on the bucket list!

If you drive the Kanc looking for a place along the river to wade in you will definitely find a spot. We've done that many times just to avoid the crowd at Lower Falls. Personally I avoid anywhere near Rocky Gorge, it just looks dangerous. You might want to check Google Earth for some good spots (done that before). Most times I end up just north of Lower Falls. There are places to pull off the road and you can find a private little spot to calls yours for a few hours. We normally just sit in the water, lean up against a rock and let the river run around us. The bottom of the river in is just tiny rocks in many places, not much mud.
        Matt Goodwin
        Admin
        NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

Which STATE is east of NH?

Working...
        X