Lower Falls Closure on the Kancamagus Scenic Byway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Falls Closure on the Kancamagus Scenic Byway

The White Mountain National Forest has announced the closure of Lower Falls on the Kancamagus Scenic Byway starting today (Monday June 16, 2014).

The closure of Lower Falls is due to construction at the site. After years of being one of the most popular sites along the Kancamagus, the site has endured heavy foot traffic which has caused harm to the plants and trees as well as the river banks.

The project includes:
    • Defining designated walking paths.
    • Installation of drainage in the parking area to protect the Swift River from road-salt runoff and sedimentation.
    • Landscape redesign to create buffers between the Kancamagus Highway and the recreation area.
    • Improve accessibility to the picnic area.
    • Installation of a viewing platform
    • Improved sightlines
    • Guard station renovations
    • Add sidewalks
    • Add motorcycle parking
    • Designate an emergency vehicle parking area.

The Lower Falls recreation site is expected to reopen mid-November 2014.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Re: Lower Falls Closure on the Kancamagus Scenic Byway

I just posted about this in general discussion... oops... we found this out too late, unfortunately....

Comment

Originally posted by KByers View Post
      I just posted about this in general discussion... oops... we found this out too late, unfortunately....
      Sorry to hear! Nothing worse than heading to Lower Falls expecting to swim and find out it's closed!

Should be nice when its done though!
      Matt Goodwin
      Admin
      NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Agreed... it's was a super bummer that it happened that way, because we planned our trip AROUND the lower falls... and planned another at the same place in August... looks like I'll have to explore some more options :\

Any suggestions?

Comment

That's too bad! It's a popular spot, I was wondering how many people were just going up there and assuming it was open. Its a safe assumption for the most part since I don't believe its ever been closed, I could be wrong but since it was built I dont ever remember it being closed.

One year we did some exploring on the Swift River and walked a lot of the banks, Lower Falls is the best spot we found for swimming. The water moves a little faster there so its more fun. Many of the other areas the water moves slowly this time of year.

The second best place that was nearby was just upstream (west of Lower Falls). I don't remember exactly but I remember you can see the river through the trees and there is enough room to pull off the side of the road. We went there once when Lower Falls was too busy and it was nice. The water is moving faster than other parts of the river because its close to Lower Falls.

I believe this is it HERE

But I would have to expect thee other places are now going to be very busy since Lower Falls is closed.
          Matt Goodwin
          Admin
          NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

Which STATE is east of NH?

Working...
          X