Non-campground camping?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-campground camping?

My family and I are planning on coming to the area on Labor Day weekend. We're kind of concerned that all the tent sites will be taken along the Kancamangus Hwy (as I'm sure it will be super busy being a holiday weekend) and were wondering if it's possible to wander off the beaten path and set up camp else where. Ideally, we would be trying the west side of the hwy, since we'll be going to Clark's Trading Post. Has anyone ever done this kind of thing or know if it's possible?

Originally posted by kriztal View Post
    My family and I are planning on coming to the area on Labor Day weekend. We're kind of concerned that all the tent sites will be taken along the Kancamangus Hwy (as I'm sure it will be super busy being a holiday weekend) and were wondering if it's possible to wander off the beaten path and set up camp else where. Ideally, we would be trying the west side of the hwy, since we'll be going to Clark's Trading Post. Has anyone ever done this kind of thing or know if it's possible?
    Welcome to the forum! There usually is a lot of people on the holiday weekends there. If you get up there Friday night, the Kanc campsites will almost certainly be full. Mid-week is the best time to get a camp site. There is camping available along the trail system on the Kancamagus. There are no fires allowed within 1/2 mile of the Kancamagus Highway. There are other rules posted at each trail head.

There are also other campgrounds near the Kancamagus on both the Conway and the Lincoln/Woodstock, NH ends.

Have fun!
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

RE:

Thanks for the information- I think we're going to try it... hopefully we can get a spot, but if not, we're prepared to sleep in the car. hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by kriztal View Post
        Thanks for the information- I think we're going to try it... hopefully we can get a spot, but if not, we're prepared to sleep in the car. hahaha.
        Yep, I have had those nights myself. I slept in the car with a friend once at the Old Man on the Mountain parking area. I was woken up by a little girl with her finger in my face screaming "Daddy, daddy, this guy is dead." lol

I've learned to leave the windows cracked and slam towels in the doors for a little privacy
        Matt Goodwin
        Admin
        NHTourGuide.com

Comment

RE:

Ha! Good tip- we'll be sure to use it

Comment

From NHTourGuide - "There is camping available along the trail system on the Kancamagus. There are no fires allowed within 1/2 mile of the Kancamagus Highway. There are other rules posted at each trail head." How does one know where the trail systems are? IOW, where is it OK to park and sleep in your car?

I'm from MA and would like to get some good photos of moose in full rack and I'm willing to park/camp to do that, but I don't want to fall asleep and have an officer knocking on my window (I have a hearing problem and I live in a small city, so I ignore a lot of noises) because I'm parked in the wrong place and I don't like to disobey laws.

Your name suggests that you may be able to help me in another way. I would like to photograph a moose swimming. If you could help me with either of these quests (and I do know the possibility of problems if you get too close without cover of trees), I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Rick
            Last edited by skiextreme2; 10-29-2010, 11:52 PM. Reason: Additional questions

Comment

Originally posted by skiextreme2 View Post
              From NHTourGuide - "There is camping available along the trail system on the Kancamagus. There are no fires allowed within 1/2 mile of the Kancamagus Highway. There are other rules posted at each trail head." How does one know where the trail systems are? IOW, where is it OK to park and sleep in your car?

I'm from MA and would like to get some good photos of moose in full rack and I'm willing to park/camp to do that, but I don't want to fall asleep and have an officer knocking on my window (I have a hearing problem and I live in a small city, so I ignore a lot of noises) because I'm parked in the wrong place and I don't like to disobey laws.

Your name suggests that you may be able to help me in another way. I would like to photograph a moose swimming. If you could help me with either of these quests (and I do know the possibility of problems if you get too close without cover of trees), I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Rick
              Hey Rick,

Thanks for moving your question to this thread for me. Its a great question and wanted to be sure it available for everyone.

The trail systems are very well marked with large brown signs with icons for cross country skiing, hiking, parking, etc. On our Kancamagus Highway website, we have described the trails along the Kancamagus Highway. Included is a brief description of the trailhead, some info about the trail and a photo of the trailhead signs, so you can see it before you get there.

As far as sleeping in your car at the Kancamagus... not sure if there are any rules about that. At least I have never seen anything posted. I suspect you may end up getting a flashlight in your eyes during the night but I doubt the rangers would make you leave. You can call the ranger station ahead of time to let them know your plans. Give them the description of your car and plate # if they are ok with it and ask them to leave the information for the nighttime shift and local police. You may also want to leave a not on your car to alert them that you already called for permission and you have a hearing problem. Saco Ranger Station: 603-447-5448
              I would also love to get a picture of a moose with a full rack standing in the water and/or swimming. There is a small pond alonf the Kancamagus Highway. I cant remember the name at the moment, but it's on the North side, very shallow and roadside. There is another pond behind Rocky Gorge with a trail that leads to it over the Swift River. I would guess this would be an ideal place to see a moose in the water as it is away from the Highway.

I honestly think you would have a better chance of seeing a moose in the water in Pittsburg. There are Moose viewing areas there at the small ponds. Does this have to be at the Kancamagus Highway?
              Matt Goodwin
              Admin
              NHTourGuide.com

Comment

I'm traveling alone now, my budget is tight and my mileage is not great. Unless I have a guarantee I'd see what I'd like to photograph, yes, distance matters.
                Last edited by skiextreme2; 10-30-2010, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I'm traveling alone now, my budget is tight and my mileage is not great. Unless I have a guarantee I'd see what I'd like to photograph, yes, distance matters.
                  Right, I hear yah on that one. Well, there are moose along the Kancamagus, but I feel your chances are better to see the moose swimming in a pond along Moose Alley in Pittsburg. Two or three trips to the Kanc may be worse than one or two to Pittsburg. Tough thing to guarantee.

If it were me and I had to have the best chance of getting a photo of a moose swimming in water, I would be at Moose Alley in Pittsburg or Rt. 16 in Berlin or Errol, NH (IMO)
                  Matt Goodwin
                  Admin
                  NHTourGuide.com

Comment

I agree! The odds of seeing a moose in water and getting a photo are much better at moose alley!

Comment

Re: Non-campground camping?

hello,
                      I am part of a BSA troop and I was wondering if there is any off-trial camping, I know you said there is no fires with in 1/2 mile of the highway, and that will not be a problem. I was just wondering if there were any camp sites that are not right on the highway. or any hike-in sites or anything like that.
                      thank you
                      Maddy.

Comment

Re: Non-campground camping?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                        hello,
                        I am part of a BSA troop and I was wondering if there is any off-trial camping, I know you said there is no fires with in 1/2 mile of the highway, and that will not be a problem. I was just wondering if there were any camp sites that are not right on the highway. or any hike-in sites or anything like that.
                        thank you
                        Maddy.
                        Hi Maddy!

I have not hiked many of the trails on the Kanc but I would have to imagine there are spots that hikers have made in their travels. Some of the trails do have huts.

I would think finding a spot to camp along the trails would be easy to find.
                        Matt Goodwin
                        Admin
                        NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x

What is the name of the COUNTRY that NH shares a border with?

Working...
                        X