Goose Hunting on a Kayak on a Populated Pond/Lake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goose Hunting on a Kayak on a Populated Pond/Lake

Ok so I woke up one morning last week to someone in a kayak in front of our house (we live on a pond). He was shooting a riffle in our direction! He wasn't shooting at us but the geese were in between the hunter and our home so when the hunter pulled the trigger it was quite pointed in our direction and very nerve-wracking!

You hear about bullets ricochetting off the water. All I could think was that we were going to be shot.

I called NH Fish and Game and spoke with an officer. I was just asking questions nicely, not in a panic and not upset at all. I was just concerned. So I was thinking I was going to get some answers, instead I got an attitude. The Fish and Game officer started right in with, "well it is goose season so whats your concern?" He only asked me 2 questions: How close the shooter was to our house, which I guessed was 400-500 feet. The law is 300 feet from a house he said. He then asked me if the kayak had a motor on it. I said no. So the hunter is perfectly within their right he said. I said geesh, I have no problem with hunters at all, I've just never seen someone in a kayak pointing a riffle at my home and pulling the trigger. He couldn't have cared less. He just asked if I had any more questions. I said don;t you think its dangerous to be firing a riffle on a populated lake or pond when homes and people are behind the target? He said "no, not at all. So I ended the call realizing that the officer had one agenda, to protect hunter's rights, period! While I have no problems with anyone hunting so long as the animal or bird does not waste I do not believe that shooting a riffle in the direction of homes is safe at all. It is very basic gun safety that you always make sure you know what (or who) is behind your target in the event you miss your target.

Needless to say, I actually had to leave my own home until the hunter finished hunting for the day. I checked for bullet holes in my house later after the hunter left.

This law needs to be changed!

Re: Goose Hunting on a Kayak on a Populated Pond/Lake

The hunter wasn't using a "riffle", geese cannot be hunted in the US with rifles, the hunter was using a shotgun with non-toxic shot. The pellets wouldn't have inflicted any damage whatsoever had they even reached your house. They aren't lethal to waterfowl beyond 60 yards at the most, but beyond 40 is luck. At 100 yards, they probably wouldn't even have the energy to pop a balloon. So the officer probably wasn't concerned since this hunter wasn't putting anyone in danger

Comment

Re: Goose Hunting on a Kayak on a Populated Pond/Lake

Originally posted by everythingthatswims View Post
      The hunter wasn't using a "riffle", geese cannot be hunted in the US with rifles, the hunter was using a shotgun with non-toxic shot. The pellets wouldn't have inflicted any damage whatsoever had they even reached your house. They aren't lethal to waterfowl beyond 60 yards at the most, but beyond 40 is luck. At 100 yards, they probably wouldn't even have the energy to pop a balloon. So the officer probably wasn't concerned since this hunter wasn't putting anyone in danger
      Now there is something I didn't know about hunting Geese! I am very surprised F&G didn't explain that to the original poster of this thread!! Sounds like it would have made all the difference!!

I think most people that are against hunting don't know this type of information!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x

Which Ocean Does NH Have a Coastline On?

Working...
      X