Gold Rush in New Hampshire! NH Gold Mining History

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Rush in New Hampshire! NH Gold Mining History

I was speaking with my grandfather the other day about a Gold Rush that occurred in Andover New Hampshire, or at least "Almost occurred".

He mentioned that a local farmer in Andover had a few tons of ledge on his property analyzed and found some small amounts of gold and that local farmers were having gold mining equipment brought in from all over.

He said that some of the rock and ledge that were mined for gold was indeed sold.

He also said that there is gold in many places in New Hampshire, mostly in the hills - "there's gold in them there hills!" he said jokingly.

I know that Ruggles Mine in Grafton is the location of where Mica was first found in 1803 and many minerals have been mined there since the discovery of Mica, but I thought I heard once that they were also panning for gold? Maybe I'm wrong. I have been to Grafton NH many times and there is Mica all over that town. I also did a lot of hiking in Grafton and discovered many abandoned caves or abandoned mines. Once of the mines I found was about 2-3 stories down. I do not believe it was connected to Ruggles Mine, although it was close to Ruggles Mine. Were these other caves fro people who knew the secret that Mica was being mined in the area and tried to start their own Mica mines or were these leftovers from the 1920's gold rush in New Hampshire?

Anyways, does anyone have any information about gold mining in New Hampshire or any historical information about gold mining?

Sure is intriguing to think that there was gold mining right here in NH!

Thank you!
    Carl

Re: Gold Rush in New Hampshire! NH Gold Mining History

Gold was discovered in 1864 in Lyman New Hampshire which did create a bit of a gold rush buzz.

If you drive along the Wild Ammonoosuc River in Bath you will see Gold Prospectors all over the river looking for gold. From what I understand there is gold in the river and people have found signs of gold there but just little specs, nothing worth any money. Although a gold nugget was found in the 1980's but nothing significant ever since.

Just take a ride down Rt. 112 sometime and im sure you will find someone looking for gold in the river.

Not sure about any gold in Andover NH or at Ruggles mine in Grafton. But I think they may have done a little gold panning for the kids there at one point, maybe they still do but I think it was just for fun and educational purposes.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Gold in New Hampshire????? Now thats cool!

Comment

Originally posted by NHTourGuide View Post
        Gold was discovered in 1864 in Lyman New Hampshire which did create a bit of a gold rush buzz.

If you drive along the Wild Ammonoosuc River in Bath you will see Gold Prospectors all over the river looking for gold. From what I understand there is gold in the river and people have found signs of gold there but just little specs, nothing worth any money. Although a gold nugget was found in the 1980's but nothing significant ever since.

Just take a ride down Rt. 112 sometime and im sure you will find someone looking for gold in the river.

Not sure about any gold in Andover NH or at Ruggles mine in Grafton. But I think they may have done a little gold panning for the kids there at one point, maybe they still do but I think it was just for fun and educational purposes.
        Let's get a NH Gold Rush group together and we can all head up there and check the place out. I know I could use a few gold nuggets!

Comment

Im in! Lets find some gold !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            I was speaking with my grandfather the other day about a Gold Rush that occurred in Andover New Hampshire, or at least "Almost occurred".

He mentioned that a local farmer in Andover had a few tons of ledge on his property analyzed and found some small amounts of gold and that local farmers were having gold mining equipment brought in from all over.

He said that some of the rock and ledge that were mined for gold was indeed sold.

He also said that there is gold in many places in New Hampshire, mostly in the hills - "there's gold in them there hills!" he said jokingly.

I know that Ruggles Mine in Grafton is the location of where Mica was first found in 1803 and many minerals have been mined there since the discovery of Mica, but I thought I heard once that they were also panning for gold? Maybe I'm wrong. I have been to Grafton NH many times and there is Mica all over that town. I also did a lot of hiking in Grafton and discovered many abandoned caves or abandoned mines. Once of the mines I found was about 2-3 stories down. I do not believe it was connected to Ruggles Mine, although it was close to Ruggles Mine. Were these other caves fro people who knew the secret that Mica was being mined in the area and tried to start their own Mica mines or were these leftovers from the 1920's gold rush in New Hampshire?

Anyways, does anyone have any information about gold mining in New Hampshire or any historical information about gold mining?

Sure is intriguing to think that there was gold mining right here in NH!

Thank you!
            Carl
            There was an actual Gold mine in Surry NH active for about one year I think in the 1700's

Comment

Originally posted by Carl R View Post
              There was an actual Gold mine in Surry NH active for about one year I think in the 1700's
              would like to know where that is. would be interesting to go check out the old site. any idea where it was located in surry?

Comment

anyone watchin Gold Rush: Alaska? wish i could join that group, looks like fun but most likely a flop since no one knows what theyre doin.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  anyone watchin Gold Rush: Alaska? wish i could join that group, looks like fun but most likely a flop since no one knows what theyre doin.
                  New epsiode of Gold Rush this Friday I think. Hope they find the gold! It is an inspiring show to watch since these people aren't rich. Makes you wonder if Hollywood is chipping in a little to keep it going? They must be paying them something to film it.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey View Post
                    New epsiode of Gold Rush this Friday I think. Hope they find the gold! It is an inspiring show to watch since these people aren't rich. Makes you wonder if Hollywood is chipping in a little to keep it going? They must be paying them something to film it.
                    Hey Carl! That sounds cool, mind letting me know where that mine was? I wish we had some caves around here, but mines will do! They're just few and far between . . if you dont want to post it here you can catch me at donnabhain@iussa.org

I know several people who have panned for gold in NH, though I haven't tried it yet. There are gold prospecting clubs and websites (i forget the name of the national organization) that can even sell you maps of where to go and look. The folks I know haven't struck it rich yet though so don't quit your day job.

Comment

Just got to know where to look guys. There is a little gold in every brook and river in the state. I have found gold in Andover all the way up to Pittsburg NH. Maine and VT as Well. The best and easiest stuff coming from the Wild Ammonoosuc. Nothing huge but jewelry size once in a while. Check out my youtube video. Yankee Gold Prospecting (New England). Not a great video but it's real gold. More than just small flakes too.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmayyy@yahoo.com View Post
                        Just got to know where to look guys. There is a little gold in every brook and river in the state. I have found gold in Andover all the way up to Pittsburg NH. Maine and VT as Well. The best and easiest stuff coming from the Wild Ammonoosuc. Nothing huge but jewelry size once in a while. Check out my youtube video. Yankee Gold Prospecting (New England). Not a great video but it's real gold. More than just small flakes too.
                        Video was cool! Exciting work! Do you need a permit to pan for gold in NH? I saw another video where someone was digging in the river bed with a shovel and it said you needed a drudge permit. Is that just if you are digging for gold?

Comment

Re: Panning For Gold in New Hampshire? Sounds interesting!

Panning for gold in New Hampshire sounds like a lot of fun! Planning to take my kids this Summer after reading the posts.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

You need a dredge permit if you are going to be using a dredge in NH and I believe ME as well. Vermont does not any motorized equipment. VT requires you to get a permit if you want to run a sluice box. $50.00, why I can pan faster than any one can sluice. You do not have to get written permission to pan for gold on National forest. However in Vermont you need written permission to pan on state or private land. NH, you are supposed to have written permission to pan on private property and must have written permission to dredge on private land.
                            I got almost 1/2 ounce of gold in 2010 from panning in VT & NH. Now I am going to sell the gold to get a 3" dredge.

Comment

I will try to follow this link on a regular basis to try and help answer questions anyone has about gold prospecting in New England. I have been panning for a few years now and was very successful last summer. Did well enough to make a necklace and earrings for my daughter. I can teach you how to spot hot spots in any creek. There is gold in most of the North West brooks in NH. I post a lot of this info on my face-book page. you are all welcome to come take a look.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002027436328
                              Adding more you tube videos from last year. just have to edit them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x

What is the name of the COUNTRY that NH shares a border with?

Working...
                              X