Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me find a location for last second camping trip with 10 year old.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me find a location for last second camping trip with 10 year old.

My 10 year old son and I decided that we are going to throw the tent, fishing rods, etc. in the car next week and spend a few days in New Hampshire (non-weekend days). Problem is, I have never been there and haven't a clue where we should go, and I am hoping for some guidance. Ideally we can find a campsite with toilets/showers, where we can catch a trout and cook it on the fire, where we can go on hikes and see gorges/waterfalls, etc., and yet still be close enough to "touristy" areas so that we can get a burger, play some mini-golf, ride a mountain coaster, etc. Oh yeah, and if he could pan for gold, or mine for emeralds, that would be the icing on the cake!

Is there a place/region like this? Thank you!

Hi! Sounds like you will want to be in the White Mountain National Forest region, along the Swift River you can find trout, and people pan for gold there. Also nearby (further north) is the Ammonusuc River, more popular for gold panning, even supply stores nearby. Below are a few links that might be helpful.

If you choose to camp near the Swift River there are campgrounds along the Kancamagus Highway, only Jigger Johnson has showers though. All campgrounds are first come, first serve.

Campgrounds With Showers: https://nhtourguide.com/category/cam...-with-showers/
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Thank you for the information Matt. Have you, or anybody, had any experience with the Lost River Valley Campground in Woodstock?

Comment

You're welcome! And yes, we stayed at Lost River Valley Campground about 6 years ago. Its a nice campground and its in a nice area, one major plus is that its away from Kancamagus traffic.
        Matt Goodwin
        Admin
        NHTourGuide.com

Comment

You might also look at Mountain Lake Camping Resort. It's a little further north but a wonderful campground. We've stayed there several times over the past two years. It's one of our favorite camping areas in the White Mountains. http://www.mtnlakecampground.com/

Good Luck....Have a Great Trip!!
          Patrick

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

Which state is west of NH?

Working...
          X