Camp Sno Mo in Gilmanton Iron Works

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Sno Mo in Gilmanton Iron Works

I could not go without giving a shout out to an amazing summer camp. Camp Sno Mo is located in Gilmanton Iron Works and is part of Easter Seals NH. It is a camp for children and young adults with special needs and disabilities, ages 11-21.

My step son is 24 years old and has cerebral palsy. He cannot walk, cannot talk and relies on us to do everything for him. It is a challenge every day. This week at Camp Sno Mo, they have a week of camp specifically for those who are over 21 years of age. This is the second year that he goes and it is the most amazing camp. They are staffed with the most caring individuals and the most caring camp director.

They do so many activities at the camp. Each child or young adult has his or her own one-on-one aide for the entire week. They participate in archery, wood carving, arts and crafts, swimming, canoeing, hiking and so much more. My step son is confined pretty much to a wheelchair but he loves the water so he enjoys swimming at the lake.

The campers either sleep under a large tent or in one of the bedrooms at the lodge, depending on the disability. Campers eat three meals a day and they are required to shower one day in their assigned shower area. A staff member does a bed check every 15 minutes while the campers are sleeping.

The camp director came from London, England and has been the camp director for six enjoyable years. When he first came to the states, he worked for the YMCA as an international counselor where he met his wife, Jessica, who was also a counselor. Robert then worked at Mount Prospect Academy before taking on the challenge of opening the Youth Center in Wolfeboro. While there, he wanted to take his management skills into the restaurant industry but it was not long before he missed being a part of a camp program. When he hears of Camp Sno Mo, they had already had a camp director so he called back next year to learn the camp director position just opened up that day.
    Attached Files

Re: Camp Sno Mo in Gilmanton Iron Works

Camp Sno Mo is a great camp! I am a member of the Suncook Valley Snowmobile Club and the club donates to Easter Seals which I believe goes mostly to Camp Sno Mo.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Yes the Snowmobile Club's money goes to Camp Sno Mo. The Club dontates a couple million dollars to Sno Mo. You guys are awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by NHTourGuide View Post
        Camp Sno Mo is a great camp! I am a member of the Suncook Valley Snowmobile Club and the club donates to Easter Seals which I believe goes mostly to Camp Sno Mo.
        It is a great camp with great individuals, counselors, and campers. The directer is just awesome and filled with excitement and encouragement. How do I know? Because I have had the privilege to work there five wonderful and amazing summers. And I must also say that the Boy Scouts are great "Big ups to them" lots of respect. They are supportive and helpful. Also the environment as Gilmanton Hidden Valley is awesome, the lake, Mt. Shannon, opening camp fire. Must say thanks to the Snowmobilers for making the camp possible.

Big up to Camp Sno- Mo love it and everything about it. Love to be there sometime in the near future

Comment

NH Snowmobile clubs raise money with fundraisers, part of which goes to NHSA (New Hampshire Snowmobile Association) and they make a donation yearly. Some other snowmobile clubs donate independently without the association. They have many companies and individuals who donate to the camp from all over.

Great to see it goes to a good cause
          Matt Goodwin
          Admin
          NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

Which STATE is east of NH?

Working...
          X