Open Campgrounds & Closed Campgrounds in White Mountain National Forest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Campgrounds & Closed Campgrounds in White Mountain National Forest

Here is a list of open campgrounds and closed campgrounds in the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire as of 6:00pm on 9/7/11:

*Please beware that Osceola Campground is only accessible via Route 49 (Waterville Valley). Russell Pond Campground is only accessible via I-93. The Tripoli road does not have through access from I-93.

**Please be aware that access to Dolly Copp Campground and Barnes Field is through the Pinkham B road in Randolph at this time. The Pinkham B road is a gravel road with few paved sections. This road has soft shoulders and should be accessed by slow speeds only due to deteriorating asphalt and pot holes found on the road. We ask that users use caution and drive at slow speeds for their own safety and to limit damage to their vehicles and trailers.

Barnes Field Campground: Open
    Basin Campground: Open
    Big Rock Campground (Kancamagus): Open - Access from Lincoln NH
    Blackberry Crossing Campground (Kancamagus): Open - Access from Conway NH
    Campton Family Campground: Open
    Campton Group Campground: Closed for season!
    Cold River Campground: Open
    Covered Bridge Campground (Kancamagus): Open - Access From Conway NH
    Crocker Pond Campground: Open
    Dolly Copp Campground: Open
    Hancock Campground (Kancamagus): Open - Access from Lincoln NH
    Hastings Campground: Open
    Jigger Johnson Campground (Kancamagus): Open - Access from Conway NH
    Osceola Vista Campground: Open
    Passaconaway Campground (Kancamagus): Closed for Labor Day Weekend
    Russell Pond Campground: Open
    Sugarloaf I Campground: Open
    Sugarloaf II Campground: Open
    Waterville Campground: Open
    White Ledge Campground: Open
    Wild River Campground: Closed
    Wildwood Campground: Open
    Zealand Campground: Open
    Last edited by NHTourGuide; 09-07-2011, 05:00 PM. Reason: Update
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Re: Open Campgrounds & Closed Campgrounds in White Mountain National Forest

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.
      You're welcome
      Matt Goodwin
      Admin
      NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Press release from the White Mountain National Forest on 9/2/11:

The White Mountain National Forest is pleased to announce that five more campgrounds will be

open this Labor Day Weekend. Osceola Campground, Barnes Field Campground and Dolly

Copp Campground are open today. We expect Jigger Johnson and one loop of the Pasaconaway

Campground to be open tomorrow.

When assessed earlier this week, we fully expected these campgrounds to remain inaccessible

through the weekend. With this expectation, we didn’t want visitors to make the trip only to find

the campgrounds closed and therefore the Forest canceled reservations at Osceola, Barnes Field

and Dolly Copp. When the Forest initiates the reservation cancellation, the visitor receives a full

refund with no cancellation fee.

Thanks to the hard work of Forest Service crews and the New Hampshire Department of

Transportation, access to these campgrounds has been restored in time for the weekend. It should

be noted that access to Dolly Copp and Barnes Field will be available via Pinkham B Road. This

secondary access route has been graded and made accessible by passenger vehicles to the two

popular campgrounds. The road has soft shoulders and is narrow. Deteriorating asphalt and pot

holes are found on the road. We ask users to use caution and drive at slow speeds for their own

safety and to limit damage to their vehicles and trailers.

Due to previously canceled reservations, these campgrounds will be on a first come/first serve

basis for the weekend. We understand the cancelation of reservations may have caused some

hardship. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope visitors will understand. We would like

to thank NH DOT again for their work this past week which has allowed us to open so many

recreation areas on the White Mountain National Forest for this holiday weekend.

For a list of areas that are closed, as well as suggested alternatives for LABOR DAY

WEEKEND OPPORTUNITIES go to:
        www.fs.fed.us/r9/white For more information, contact the

White Mountain National Forest at (603) 536-6100.
        Matt Goodwin
        Admin
        NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Do you have a more recent update on the campgrounds and Kancamagus access to loon for the Highland Festival?

Thank you!

Comment

Do you have a more recent update on the campgrounds and Kancamagus access to loon for the Highland Festival?

Thank you!
            Sure, the Kanc is open, Loon is open and the Kancamagus campgrounds are all open. Loon's bridge is still being repaired but there is an alternate entrance and a new temporary footbridge in place.

The Highland Festival is a go!
            Matt Goodwin
            Admin
            NHTourGuide.com

Comment

I noticed that Passaconaway had been closed and one of the loops were open. Would this be the loop furthest from the river? We were looking to stay on lot #22. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I noticed that Passaconaway had been closed and one of the loops were open. Would this be the loop furthest from the river? We were looking to stay on lot #22. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
                The White Mountain National Forest website says Passaconaway is open with 33 sites.

Im curious.... Where/when did you see Passaconaway Campground was closed?
                Matt Goodwin
                Admin
                NHTourGuide.com

Comment

I saw it on a previous thread on sept 1.

Comment

I saw it on a previous thread on sept 1.
                    Ah, that makes sense
                    Matt Goodwin
                    Admin
                    NHTourGuide.com

Comment

I have a reservation this weekend (October 11th) at Barnes Field. I was wondering if we could still go camping there, with the government shutdown persisting.

Thanks in advance fro any information.

Comment

Originally posted by cyegen View Post
                        I have a reservation this weekend (October 11th) at Barnes Field. I was wondering if we could still go camping there, with the government shutdown persisting.

According to the official White Mountain National Forest website Barnes Field Campground is still open. This is operated by Pro-Sport Inc., a private company. I would keep back up information handy in case you get there and they wind up being closed. Always good to keep some other nearby campground information with you as a backup.
                        Matt Goodwin
                        Admin
                        NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Originally posted by cyegen View Post

I am again looking at the White Mountain Nation Forest official website and I see the home page says this:

"Due to the lapse in agency funding, the sale of all types of permits (i.e., recreation, firewood, forest products, mineral materials for example) are suspended, recreation.gov reservations are suspended, and all federally owned recreation sites are closed. All offices are closed. These services will be available once funding is restored.

Law enforcement, fire suppression, and other essential services will continue without interruption.

This web site will remain available for public safety announcements and updates such as for wildfire, floods, and so forth. We will attempt to make timely updates about public health and safety on these web pages as appropriate. We sincerely regret this inconvenience."

But the individual web pages for the campgrounds and ranger stations do not say anything about any campground closures. All campgrounds have "Open" for a status that I saw.

Before the Saco Ranger Station closed I did call them to ask about the campground closures due to the government shutdown and was told that the campgrounds are operated by a private company and would remain open until further notice but because the ranger stations are now closed there is no one to ask.

Anyway, I would proceed with caution and definitely have an alternate plan in case in the campground is closed.
                          Matt Goodwin
                          Admin
                          NHTourGuide.com

Comment

As far as the recreation.gov website, here is their notice:

Our Apologies...

The Recreation.gov website is not available due to a lapse in funding for the federal government.

If you already have a reservation which is either partially or fully impacted by facility closures, we will automatically cancel that reservation and issue a full refund to the credit card used for the initial purchase transaction. No additional cancellation fees will be charged to the customer for reservation cancellations as a result of facility closures.

We invite you to return to this site as the situation evolves in order to obtain additional information about how services and reservations may be affected.

I would check with your credit card company to see if you have received a credit, that might give you a little more insight to whether the campground is closed.
                            Matt Goodwin
                            Admin
                            NHTourGuide.com

Comment

Working...
                            X