Untitled 1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Franconia Ridge Trail

Moose Calf

Franconia Ridge Trail

I got my first view of this magnificent ridge while enjoying a summer visit at the Mittersill Ski resort about ten years ago. My wife is not a hiker. so I was determined to return with someone who is. That turned out to be my older son, Steven. We returned the following year, camped at the Lafayette campground and did the Franconia Ridge Trail as a day hike.
    A few years later, a friend and I decided to hike Cannon Mountain with his young daughter. Prior to that, we had done the Presidential Range. While on Cannon Mountain's summit and along parts of the trail that got us there, I found myself again enjoying the spectacular view of the Franconia Ridge.
    So last month I found myself (with Steven) back on the Franconia Ridge trail loop. This time we started on the Old Bridal Path and spent a night at the Greenleaf Hut. That part of the trip was uneventful, as we headed up Lafayette Mountain on a humid, foggy day. The fog was so dense we couldn't see the summit of Lafayette from the hut. The next morning was more of the same weather-wise, but we decided to ascend Lafayette and follow the ridge trail over Lincoln and Haystack before making our way down the Falling Waters Trail. My little pocket-sized weather station, along with a breeze out of the north told me a high pressure front was headed our way and we just might get some clearing. And we did. By the time we reached the summit of Lafayette, we were enjoying brilliant sunshine with puffy white clouds below us. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. We had to finish that trail by late afternoon and start the six hour drive home, but we did linger along the ridge as much as possible. The videos and still pics I took received rave reviews from my friends and co-workers. I wish I lived closer to The Whites. They are spectacular.

Re: Franconia Ridge Trail

Quote Originally Posted by swooper View Post
    I got my first view of this magnificent ridge while enjoying a summer visit at the Mittersill Ski resort about ten years ago. My wife is not a hiker. so I was determined to return with someone who is. That turned out to be my older son, Steven. We returned the following year, camped at the Lafayette campground and did the Franconia Ridge Trail as a day hike.
    A few years later, a friend and I decided to hike Cannon Mountain with his young daughter. Prior to that, we had done the Presidential Range. While on Cannon Mountain's summit and along parts of the trail that got us there, I found myself again enjoying the spectacular view of the Franconia Ridge.
    So last month I found myself (with Steven) back on the Franconia Ridge trail loop. This time we started on the Old Bridal Path and spent a night at the Greenleaf Hut. That part of the trip was uneventful, as we headed up Lafayette Mountain on a humid, foggy day. The fog was so dense we couldn't see the summit of Lafayette from the hut. The next morning was more of the same weather-wise, but we decided to ascend Lafayette and follow the ridge trail over Lincoln and Haystack before making our way down the Falling Waters Trail. My little pocket-sized weather station, along with a breeze out of the north told me a high pressure front was headed our way and we just might get some clearing. And we did. By the time we reached the summit of Lafayette, we were enjoying brilliant sunshine with puffy white clouds below us. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. We had to finish that trail by late afternoon and start the six hour drive home, but we did linger along the ridge as much as possible. The videos and still pics I took received rave reviews from my friends and co-workers. I wish I lived closer to The Whites. They are spectacular.
    I have been meaning to hike the Franconia Ridge Trail for many year. I have always heard how nice it is there. Can you upload some pics you took? I would love to see them! Your post restores my hopes of getting up to Franconia Ridge Trail! Maybe this summer if I can find some free time.

I'm curious, where is Mittersill Ski Resort? Is is in New Hampshire? Never heard of it before.

Moose Calf

Quote Originally Posted by RVGuy View Post
    I have been meaning to hike the Franconia Ridge Trail for many year. I have always heard how nice it is there. Can you upload some pics you took? I would love to see them! Your post restores my hopes of getting up to Franconia Ridge Trail! Maybe this summer if I can find some free time.

I'm curious, where is Mittersill Ski Resort? Is is in New Hampshire? Never heard of it before.
    The Mittersill Ski Resort is adjacent to Cannon Mountain, only a few miles from the site of The Old Man of the Mountain.

I have hiked peaks from Katahdin in Maine, the Presidential Range in N. H. to Mt Mitchell in North Carolina, but nowhere were the views more spectacular than along the Franconia Ridge. I have included a link that should allow you to view my pictures of Franconia on Facebook. Enjoy.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=6eab57a2e6

Quote Originally Posted by swooper View Post
    The Mittersill Ski Resort is adjacent to Cannon Mountain, only a few miles from the site of The Old Man of the Mountain.

I have hiked peaks from Katahdin in Maine, the Presidential Range in N. H. to Mt Mitchell in North Carolina, but nowhere were the views more spectacular than along the Franconia Ridge. I have included a link that should allow you to view my pictures of Franconia on Facebook. Enjoy.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=6eab57a2e6

I really like the photos from your FaceBook. It really is a beautiful place! No doubt about that!

We hikes Mt. Major in Alton NH a while back, which is a much smaller mountain but the views of Lake Winnipesaukee were amazing. We didn;t expect to see the views that we did.

Interesting about the ski resort being next to Cannon Mountain! I have been all over New Hampshire and never even heard of Mittersill Ski Resort. Learn somethin' new every day I suppose

Unregistered

I hiked the Franconia Ridge Trail once before. I found it to have some of the most amazing views in the area. I bet Franconia Ridge Trail is one of the best hikes in New England!

Last edited by CFP_1970; 03-12-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Unregistered

sweet! i heard franconia ridge trail was difficult is that true? i am a novice hiker, a bit out of shape too

as long as you can handle a long day on your feet you should be ok.
    do it with a friend or two, the views will be worth the effort.

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by CFP_1970 View Post
    as long as you can handle a long day on your feet you should be ok.
    do it with a friend or two, the views will be worth the effort.
    Maybe I will plan on it this summer. Are there any parts that are steep, not good with heights but im ok as long as im firmly planted.

I see someone in your group was smoking. Maybe I can handle that hike!! lol