Untitled 1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Campgrounds & Closed Campgrounds in White Mountain National Forest

Moose Calf

Re: Open Campgrounds & Closed Campgrounds in White Mountain National Forest

I have a reservation this weekend (October 11th) at Barnes Field. I was wondering if we could still go camping there, with the government shutdown persisting.

Thanks in advance fro any information.

Quote Originally Posted by cyegen View Post
    I have a reservation this weekend (October 11th) at Barnes Field. I was wondering if we could still go camping there, with the government shutdown persisting.

According to the official White Mountain National Forest website Barnes Field Campground is still open. This is operated by Pro-Sport Inc., a private company. I would keep back up information handy in case you get there and they wind up being closed. Always good to keep some other nearby campground information with you as a backup.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Quote Originally Posted by cyegen View Post

I am again looking at the White Mountain Nation Forest official website and I see the home page says this:

"Due to the lapse in agency funding, the sale of all types of permits (i.e., recreation, firewood, forest products, mineral materials for example) are suspended, recreation.gov reservations are suspended, and all federally owned recreation sites are closed. All offices are closed. These services will be available once funding is restored.

Law enforcement, fire suppression, and other essential services will continue without interruption.

This web site will remain available for public safety announcements and updates such as for wildfire, floods, and so forth. We will attempt to make timely updates about public health and safety on these web pages as appropriate. We sincerely regret this inconvenience."

But the individual web pages for the campgrounds and ranger stations do not say anything about any campground closures. All campgrounds have "Open" for a status that I saw.

Before the Saco Ranger Station closed I did call them to ask about the campground closures due to the government shutdown and was told that the campgrounds are operated by a private company and would remain open until further notice but because the ranger stations are now closed there is no one to ask.

Anyway, I would proceed with caution and definitely have an alternate plan in case in the campground is closed.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

As far as the recreation.gov website, here is their notice:

Our Apologies...

The Recreation.gov website is not available due to a lapse in funding for the federal government.

If you already have a reservation which is either partially or fully impacted by facility closures, we will automatically cancel that reservation and issue a full refund to the credit card used for the initial purchase transaction. No additional cancellation fees will be charged to the customer for reservation cancellations as a result of facility closures.

We invite you to return to this site as the situation evolves in order to obtain additional information about how services and reservations may be affected.

I would check with your credit card company to see if you have received a credit, that might give you a little more insight to whether the campground is closed.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com