Untitled 1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

August 18, 2009 accident on Silver Cascade Waterfall in NH

Aaron Cole, a college student from Grass Lake, is fortunate those stories can be true. Otherwise he'd probably be dead.

Cole, 24, and his girlfriend, Shelly Johnson, 22, also a college student from Grass Lake, were headed to Maine on a vacation when disaster struck Aug. 18.

"We were in New Hampshire when we saw a beautiful waterfall and decided to climb to the top," said Cole, a graduate student studying speech pathology at Eastern Michigan University.

On the hike, Cole started fooling around by walking in the water. It was not incredibly steep, but the water had lots of slippery algae and rocks.

To Johnson, it looked dangerous. She pleaded with her boyfriend to get back on dry ground.

"He's one of those daredevil kids, so it (the warning) did not do any good," Johnson said.

Suddenly Cole slipped. For a split second, it seemed OK.

"Then I lost control and could not stop," he said.

He careened about 120 feet, bashing his head on rocks. He stopped, bloody and unconscious, face-down in a pool of water. That was actually a lucky break because he just missed sliding off a tall drop-off.

His second lucky break was the fact his girlfriend of four years is a senior nursing student at the University of Michigan.

Cole was not breathing when she reached him, so she gave him a few "rescue breaths." It worked. Cole coughed and spit water.

Johnson took off her swimming suit to bandage gashes on his head, then carried him down a hill that took them 45 minutes to climb. Most of the way, she said, she cradled him, talked to him and tried to keep him conscious.

"With head injuries, I knew it was important to keep him from going into a coma," she said.

Johnson is athletic a state champion hurdler at Grass Lake but it defies explanation that she, at 115 pounds, carried a 160-pound man so far.

"She tried picking me up again the other day and could hold me for only a few seconds," Cole said.

"If all the money in the world was placed on it now," she said, "I don't think I could do it again. It was adrenaline and God."

Cole's third piece of luck came at the bottom of the hill. The first people to find them were an intensive-care nurse and an emergency-room nurse.

The closest hospital was not equipped to handle serious head wounds, so Cole was airlifted to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, N.H. He was treated in intensive care for two days, but had no permanent brain damage.

"Shelly is a true hero and deserves all the credit in the world for saving my life," Cole said.

Johnson is not comfortable being called a hero, but she knows one thing.

"He owes me ice cream for life," she said.

Story from:
    http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/in...udents_st.html
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Re: Man Falls From Silver Cascade Waterfall Rescued by Girlfriend: Aug 18, 2009

Very believable. I went up there today with a couple of friends ( drove all the way from Fryeburg, Maine ) and we climbed to almost the very top. ( Was way to tired to try and make it over the very last fall at the exact top ). It is definitely an area that you will end up dead on if your not careful.

I found this forum/topic searching for information of other people who have made it to the very top. Is there a spring or something else at the top?
    This was about halfway, and it was this steep for most of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by 452films View Post
    Very believable. I went up there today with a couple of friends ( drove all the way from Fryeburg, Maine ) and we climbed to almost the very top. ( Was way to tired to try and make it over the very last fall at the exact top ). It is definitely an area that you will end up dead on if your not careful.

I found this forum/topic searching for information of other people who have made it to the very top. Is there a spring or something else at the top?
    This was about halfway, and it was this steep for most of the way.
    Wow, funny you posted this. I have plans on climbing to the top of Silver Cascade to get some photos/videos but now im re-thinking it. Im not exactly 18 anymore (42 actually). Looks very steep looking at your photo. I wonder if there is a trail that comes from the AMC trails that take you to the top of the falls without having to hike straight up the falls. I will have to look into that.

There are a lot of water sources up there, many springs. We hiked to another waterfall in that area called Gibbs Falls but I don't believe its the same water source.

Another waterfall I plan on hiking to (not up) is Arethusa Falls. A news reporter died there. I have a little bit of info about that mishap on the page I linked to.

Glad you guys made it down ok.

By your user name is it safe to assume you were getting video of that area?
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

I'd like to be able to say we got some video, but the only one we have is of a friend playing around at the top where it has nice smooth rocks down onto a ledge. He was sliding down then stopping safely at the ledge and we only took one cell phone video. I definitely would love to get some actual videos up there though, some crazy stuff.

If you feel the rock climbing is to technical, you can actually walk off into the woods to the right, and theres a path ( most certainly not a trail of any sort, but theres definitely a path beaten into it by both foot and water ) and up you go. Theres one section where you need to use roots from a tree to pull yourself up but I'm not exactly a strong guy so I'd say your good to go. Just be careful and know that things happen quick up there. One push off the wrong rock and your done. I'd say if you use common sense, you'll be fine.

The cool part about it was, I didn't have any plans for the day and I asked a friend "Hey, wanna go hiking up in the white mountains?". We all just said sure. Left Fryeburg at 4pm, and came back around 7-7:30.

I'd like to be able to say we got some video, but the only one we have is of a friend playing around at the top where it has nice smooth rocks down onto a ledge. He was sliding down then stopping safely at the ledge and we only took one cell phone video. I definitely would love to get some actual videos up there though, some crazy stuff.

If you feel the rock climbing is to technical, you can actually walk off into the woods to the right, and theres a path ( most certainly not a trail of any sort, but theres definitely a path beaten into it by both foot and water ) and up you go. Theres one section where you need to use roots from a tree to pull yourself up but I'm not exactly a strong guy so I'd say your good to go. Just be careful and know that things happen quick up there. One push off the wrong rock and your done. I'd say if you use common sense, you'll be fine.

The cool part about it was, I didn't have any plans for the day and I asked a friend "Hey, wanna go hiking up in the white mountains?". We all just said sure. Left Fryeburg at 4pm, and came back around 7-7:30.
    I can't imagine sliding down the smooth rocks near the top... makes me light-headed just thinking about it.

Too bad you didn't get any videos. My goal is to get some video footage there myself soon. I have a contract with a very well-known TV station (which I cannot mention at this time due to the contract). So I may need to put my fear of heights aside and get some footage. Nothing crazy though, it aint worth dying for

The last time I was at Silver Cascade I did see the trail and even started up the trail with camera in hand and got a little ways up but I had to turn around as it was getting late and I didn't inform anyone I was with that I was headed up the trail. Realizinf it was going to take some time, I turned around with plans of coming back.

Since you're from Fryeburg Maine, do you happen to know anyone with the last name of "Wells-Goodwin." I got family up in that area.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Wish I could say I did know them. I'm actually from Denmark ( Next town over ), and most of my friends are from Fryeburg ( as well as my school ).

And this is where 452films comes from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-yb3MKWFP0

Next year we'll be pushing a way from the fields and trying to venture up to the mountains some more. Off trail riding is best when you know that any little screw up and your out for the season ( good motivation! ). The first set of mountains that are visible are the opening to the White Mountains. One of them is Hurricane Mountain and is clearly visible from where we were ( North Fryeburg Fields, about 2 miles or so from Petes Garage by road, or 3 by snowmobile )

Wish I could say I did know them. I'm actually from Denmark ( Next town over ), and most of my friends are from Fryeburg ( as well as my school ).

And this is where 452films comes from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-yb3MKWFP0

Next year we'll be pushing a way from the fields and trying to venture up to the mountains some more. Off trail riding is best when you know that any little screw up and your out for the season ( good motivation! ). The first set of mountains that are visible are the opening to the White Mountains. One of them is Hurricane Mountain and is clearly visible from where we were ( North Fryeburg Fields, about 2 miles or so from Petes Garage by road, or 3 by snowmobile )
    Wow, that's where they live! They have a place at Moose Pond in Denmark Maine. My father was a minister for many years up there.

Checked out your YouTube... Very cool stuff. You guys are nuts! lol

The clip with the deer on the trail was cool. I had that happen a few times around here.

We have sleds also but don't have the sleds to get into any off trail mountain riding so we stick to the groomed trails.

We were just up on Rt. 302 yesterday but never made it to Silver Cascade. We went into Vermont up I-93 then headed back on Rt. 5 in VT and over to Rt. 112, then Rt. 302 through Conway and back down Rt. 16 and Rt. 28. We were everywhere and just ran out of time and daylight.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Quote Originally Posted by NHTourGuide View Post
    Wow, that's where they live! They have a place at Moose Pond in Denmark Maine. My father was a minister for many years up there.

Checked out your YouTube... Very cool stuff. You guys are nuts! lol

The clip with the deer on the trail was cool. I had that happen a few times around here.

We have sleds also but don't have the sleds to get into any off trail mountain riding so we stick to the groomed trails.

We were just up on Rt. 302 yesterday but never made it to Silver Cascade. We went into Vermont up I-93 then headed back on Rt. 5 in VT and over to Rt. 112, then Rt. 302 through Conway and back down Rt. 16 and Rt. 28. We were everywhere and just ran out of time and daylight.
    Yup, I make that trip all the time. Make quite a few trips to both Milton, VT and Newport, VT every year for snowmobiles and cars.

And yup, we put our boat in Moose Pond and I have a couple friends out on the lake to.

Yup, I make that trip all the time. Make quite a few trips to both Milton, VT and Newport, VT every year for snowmobiles and cars.

And yup, we put our boat in Moose Pond and I have a couple friends out on the lake to.
    Never gone into VT by snowmobile (too cheap to register in both places I guess). We normally stay local in NH if the snow amounts are good (like this past season). We also go to Twin Mountain and we also go to Gorham NH with our local club for the Easter Seal Ride-In weekend every year.

Boating on Moose Pond in Maine.... Reminds me of my dad. He bought a boat for the lake (they have a dock there), being a minister with a sense of humor he named the boat "The Descipleship." lol - gotta love funny boat names.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Thats why I just buy sleds from there. I usually just stick to riding in Maine ( registration $33 ) but will be dishing out the extra $100 to ride in NH this year.