Untitled 1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old NH State Mental Hospital - Is It Haunted?

Unregistered

Old NH State Mental Hospital - Is It Haunted?

Some say the NH State Mental Hospital in Concord is haunted, can anyone confirm this? If so, it would be nice to know who to contact to get permission to enter the building for an investigation of the NH mental hospital building and grounds.

Unregistered

Re: Old NH State Mental Hospital - Is It Haunted?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Some say the NH State Mental Hospital in Concord is haunted, can anyone confirm this? If so, it would be nice to know who to contact to get permission to enter the building for an investigation of the NH mental hospital building and grounds.
    i heard the same thing and know someone who used to work there and he told me beyond a doubt the nh state hospital is haunted. he said he has seen and heard more than enough at that place to believe.

not sure how to go about getting permission to get in tho.

Unregistered

I can tell you that a lot of people do say that many of the buildings on the NH hospital campus are haunted (including some of the functional ones that are now office spaces), as well as the tunnels that run underground and connect several (4 or 5 that I know of) of the buildings. It would be very difficult to get permission to investigate, if not impossible. Not only is access to the oldest buildings limited because of safety issues, but the entire campus is covered by a strict blanket rule of no-cameras-or-recording-equipment-allowed, due to the fact that several of the buildings and the grounds are still used for psychiatric patients and their right to privacy is a very sensitive issue, as well as the presence of the state court house on grounds. At the very least, direct permission from the hospital CEO would be required for an official investigation, and probably an entire committee would have to approve the request.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I can tell you that a lot of people do say that many of the buildings on the NH hospital campus are haunted (including some of the functional ones that are now office spaces), as well as the tunnels that run underground and connect several (4 or 5 that I know of) of the buildings. It would be very difficult to get permission to investigate, if not impossible. Not only is access to the oldest buildings limited because of safety issues, but the entire campus is covered by a strict blanket rule of no-cameras-or-recording-equipment-allowed, due to the fact that several of the buildings and the grounds are still used for psychiatric patients and their right to privacy is a very sensitive issue, as well as the presence of the state court house on grounds. At the very least, direct permission from the hospital CEO would be required for an official investigation, and probably an entire committee would have to approve the request.
    Thanks for the information. I assumed the "Old" NH State Hospital was not being used, I didn't realize it was still occupied by patients.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Moose Calf

I don't think they would allow anyone to roam around the buildings on the campus. Most of the buildings are now state offices, some buildings are transitional housing for former patients. Security is high and ID badges are required at all times. I currently work in the old medical surgical building. I was told stories when I first started that the first floor, where the morgue was located, was haunted. I have been there 7 months and have never experienced anything. Some of the buildings look creepy and I do not know who or what occupies them, however they do look like prime haunting potential. Creep me out even in broad daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by DMunson View Post
    I don't think they would allow anyone to roam around the buildings on the campus. Most of the buildings are now state offices, some buildings are transitional housing for former patients. Security is high and ID badges are required at all times. I currently work in the old medical surgical building. I was told stories when I first started that the first floor, where the morgue was located, was haunted. I have been there 7 months and have never experienced anything. Some of the buildings look creepy and I do not know who or what occupies them, however they do look like prime haunting potential. Creep me out even in broad daylight.
    I agree, it is creepy to drive by. The architecture stands out that's for sure!

Are any of the buildings on the campus vacant?

Curious what the creepiest story is you've heard if you don't mind me asking?
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Moose Calf

I am not sure if any of the buildings on campus are vacant. I have not heard any stories. I did hear that when the buildings were being renovated, the tunnels connecting some of the buildings had shackles on the walls. These tunnels were sealed. There was also a lobotomy chair in the basement of my building. Now I was to inquire around the office about creepy stories.

I am not sure if any of the buildings on campus are vacant. I have not heard any stories. I did hear that when the buildings were being renovated, the tunnels connecting some of the buildings had shackles on the walls. These tunnels were sealed. There was also a lobotomy chair in the basement of my building. Now I was to inquire around the office about creepy stories.
    Wow! Actually still had shackles on the walls?? I can't imagine the people who are treated today with anxiety, bi-polar, and other disorders were treated that way at one point! Amazing how far we've come as a society and how advanced medical treatments have come along!

Ya, would love to hear any stories floating around!

Thanks for the great info!!
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Moose Calf

From what i learned recently, there is one building on campus that is vacant. This building is near the original hospital and nurses quarters. Also the cleaning woman in my building has taken photos of a spirit on the first floor while she was cleaning after hours.

From what i learned recently, there is one building on campus that is vacant. This building is near the original hospital and nurses quarters. Also the cleaning woman in my building has taken photos of a spirit on the first floor while she was cleaning after hours.
    That's interesting! Any idea what the vacant building was once used for or why its vacant?

Maybe the cleaning woman would share those photos? Did she let you see them?
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com