Untitled 1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it legal to pass another sled on a snowmobile trail?

is it legal to pass another sled on a snowmobile trail?

been passed twice this year! friggin people didn't even give me a second to pull over to let them by!

is is legal to pass another snowmobile on a trail in NH??

Re: is it legal to pass another sled on a snowmobile trail?

Quote Originally Posted by RVGuy View Post
    been passed twice this year! friggin people didn't even give me a second to pull over to let them by!

is is legal to pass another snowmobile on a trail in NH??
    I don't believe it's legal to pass a snowmobile on any trail unless they've pulled off to the side of the trail. If it isn't illegal it should be. Its too dangerous to pass another snowmobile, expecially one where the rider is not expecting it, like my son with no mirrors. Im putting them on next year!
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Unregistered

Thumbs down Re: is it legal to pass another sled on a snowmobile trail?

I just read the snowmobile safety course manual "New Hampshire Snowmobile Safety & You" and no where in there does it say that you cannot pass another snowmobile on a trail. It says the speed limit is 45mph, and basically the rest is about drinking and driving on a snowmobile in NH. I think the NH Fish & Game is makiing a mistake with that book. My 13 year old attended the safety course and all they drill into him is not to drink and drive and other adult focused things. Its like they target the parent who reads the book and dont teach the kids what they really need to know:

Can you pass another snowmobile on a trail?
    Stay on the right side of the trail, especially around corners and on hills!
    Always expect there is another snowmobile coming at you on a hill
    Dont stop on the trail on a corner or hill
    Hazards of jumping the snowmobile

Things that are more child orientated would be more helpful. The book talks about maintaining your snowmobile, ground to air signals, CPR, trailering a snowmobile, using a pick up truck to transport a sled and that you have to have ramps for a pick up truck to move a snowmobile, avalanches in Western states, just a ton of stuff a 13 year old would never remember, nor needs to know! Its just not helpful at all.

The book also shows signs, half of which I have never even seen used on a trail! The signs in the book look nothing like the signs being used. They even have a quiz on the signs in the book... What good is that?

It also teaches hand signals to signal turning, slowing down, stopping, sleds following, sleds oncoming... Really??? I told my kid to keep your hands on the grips at all times unless you're going to signal more sleds behind you or if you're the last sled, and ONLY if it's safe to do so. The way the book explains hand signals is totally off... no one uses them anyway, so why should my kid put his life (and others) at risk to use them???

If you're going to educate kids about snowmobile safety within a few hours, you'd better make it count and focus on the reality of riding a snowmobile, not focusing on things that will probably never happen to you or in places you may never be.

So can you pass a snowmobile on a NH trail? The answer: Who knows but watch out for that avalanche!

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I just read the snowmobile safety course manual "New Hampshire Snowmobile Safety & You" and no where in there does it say that you cannot pass another snowmobile on a trail. It says the speed limit is 45mph, and basically the rest is about drinking and driving on a snowmobile in NH. I think the NH Fish & Game is makiing a mistake with that book. My 13 year old attended the safety course and all they drill into him is not to drink and drive and other adult focused things. Its like they target the parent who reads the book and dont teach the kids what they really need to know:

Can you pass another snowmobile on a trail?
    Stay on the right side of the trail, especially around corners and on hills!
    Always expect there is another snowmobile coming at you on a hill
    Dont stop on the trail on a corner or hill
    Hazards of jumping the snowmobile

Things that are more child orientated would be more helpful. The book talks about maintaining your snowmobile, ground to air signals, CPR, trailering a snowmobile, using a pick up truck to transport a sled and that you have to have ramps for a pick up truck to move a snowmobile, avalanches in Western states, just a ton of stuff a 13 year old would never remember, nor needs to know! Its just not helpful at all.

The book also shows signs, half of which I have never even seen used on a trail! The signs in the book look nothing like the signs being used. They even have a quiz on the signs in the book... What good is that?

It also teaches hand signals to signal turning, slowing down, stopping, sleds following, sleds oncoming... Really??? I told my kid to keep your hands on the grips at all times unless you're going to signal more sleds behind you or if you're the last sled, and ONLY if it's safe to do so. The way the book explains hand signals is totally off... no one uses them anyway, so why should my kid put his life (and others) at risk to use them???

If you're going to educate kids about snowmobile safety within a few hours, you'd better make it count and focus on the reality of riding a snowmobile, not focusing on things that will probably never happen to you or in places you may never be.

So can you pass a snowmobile on a NH trail? The answer: Who knows but watch out for that avalanche!
    Interesting information! And now that you bring it up it sure doesn;t seem right that they are pumping kids head full of drinking and driving when they're 12 years old! I can see the point of mentioning it but how often do you hear about a 12-13 year old drunk on a snowmobile vs how many times you hear about a young kid getting seriously hurt because they flipped the snowmobile over or hit a tree from driving beyond their ability?

Unregistered

I also don't think its leagal to pass another sled on a trail in NH

There is no law in relation to passing on a snowmobile in the state of New Hampshire.

Asking an officer directly he said was use caution while passing and do your best to alert the other sledder that you are going to overtake. We have no "passing zones" the same way we have no "no passing zones".

If you are hindering traffic, you should be aware of that and allow others to overtake you. If you do not, you should not be surprised when someone overtakes you anyway.
    www.CardinalCabins.com - Pittsburg NH Lodging - Cabin Rentals - Pittsburg NH Webcams

Quote Originally Posted by CardinalCabins View Post
    There is no law in relation to passing on a snowmobile in the state of New Hampshire.

Asking an officer directly he said was use caution while passing and do your best to alert the other sledder that you are going to overtake. We have no "passing zones" the same way we have no "no passing zones".

If you are hindering traffic, you should be aware of that and allow others to overtake you. If you do not, you should not be surprised when someone overtakes you anyway.
    Thanks for the info.... Surprised that passing on a snowmobile trail is legal. I suppose out on the trails there isn't much to assist snowmobilers but common sense. Can't say much for the couple of people who passed my family last year though. We were going 45 mph and they passed us at what felt like twice our speed. They never even slowed down and I never saw them coming. Just flat out dangerous. All it would have taken is for someone's skis getting caught in the grove and a little shift to the left and that would have been it for all of us.

I agree passing may need to be done on occassion but that particular incident was a bit nuts. I suppose it doesn't matter if it's legal or not people will drive the same way. Wish there was more courtesy towards other riders on the trails.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Unregistered

There is no law about passing, except the law of common sense. And you and I both know that there are a bunch out there that have NONE.

I run a snowmobile tour business and some of the people I take out are scared to death anyway, if someone whizzes by them at 60, it is all the more frightening.

I am usually looking back constantly to keep the group together, but to also see if someone does want to pass. I teach the grop before I head out that when I hold my hand up in a certain manner, slow down and pull over behind me. Then I will wave the faster sleds on.

But there are times when the knuckleheads will come up so fast that I do not have a chance to do this.
    Bottom line be careful out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    There is no law about passing, except the law of common sense. And you and I both know that there are a bunch out there that have NONE.

I run a snowmobile tour business and some of the people I take out are scared to death anyway, if someone whizzes by them at 60, it is all the more frightening.

I am usually looking back constantly to keep the group together, but to also see if someone does want to pass. I teach the grop before I head out that when I hold my hand up in a certain manner, slow down and pull over behind me. Then I will wave the faster sleds on.

But there are times when the knuckleheads will come up so fast that I do not have a chance to do this.
    Bottom line be careful out there.
    I agree, there is a huge lack of common sense and just common courtesy on the snowmobile trails. I find more knuckleheads on the trails than I do on NH roads or boating in the lakes region. SOME snowmobilers just don't have an ounce of it.

I can't imagine giving snowmobile tours and having other snowmobilers blow past you at a high rate of speed. Some of your customers probably never been on a sled I assume.

I believe in having fun snowmobiling and not taking away any of that fun from another person. When we come up behind other people we follow at their speed for a quite a while knowing it may take time for them to notice us. The most we have ever waited was about 10 minutes. Sounds like a long time and it sure felt like a long time but its just the right thing to do and really its only 10 minutes of going at a slower speed than what we were doing so what did we lose? Maybe 1-2 minutes to get where we were going. 1-2 minutes, thats it! And really, who is in that much of a rush?? Are they commuting to work?? lol - be patient people we are all there for the same reason and if we cannot control ourselves you can bet the government will pass a law to end passing on snowmobile trails and we will have yet another reason to get pulled over and tested for DWI (or SWI tested) and given a ticket.

I am not whinning as much as I am just hopeful we adults can act like adults, have fun and keep the feds away from passing more laws to "protect us." - treat other snowmobilers like family, they just might be!

Unregistered

I've had this happen many times. Its stupid when people go flying around you without even slowing down. Its dangerous and puts people lives in jeopardy.