Untitled 1

Thread: Moose sighting and SUV trails..

Moose Calf

Moose sighting and SUV trails..

Hello, thank you for adding me to the page. We are heading up to Gorham, Milan & Pittsburg this weekend and want to see some moose. What is the best part of Rte. 3 to go to see them?? Where on Rte. 3 is "Moose Alley"??

Also, any suggestions on some good off-road or dirt roads for SUV's??

Thanks so much...

Matt

Re: Moose sighting and SUV trails..

Quote Originally Posted by Masan0525 View Post
    Hello, thank you for adding me to the page. We are heading up to Gorham, Milan & Pittsburg this weekend and want to see some moose. What is the best part of Rte. 3 to go to see them?? Where on Rte. 3 is "Moose Alley"??

Also, any suggestions on some good off-road or dirt roads for SUV's??

Thanks so much...

Matt
    Welcome to the forum! Moose Alley is between First Connecticut Lake and the Canadian border. If you look at the sides of the road you will see muddy areas with some beaten down vegetation here and there. Those are from Moose walking through it and are usually the best spots to watch for moose.

I have seen Moose all along Moose Alley and most times are in the roadway before I see them so be careful! Moose's eyes do not reflect light like a deer and being dark colored they are very hard to see at night. I have been up there at times and seen no moose at all and other times there were so many moose everyone was driving around with their hazard lights on.

As far as off road and dirt roads for SUV's - There are many unmarked roads up there, especially in Pittsburg and Milan NH. I know most of them are now covered in snow and are also snowmobile trails so be sure not to drive on those. But there are some other roads that are just not maintained that may be fun to drive through with a 4x4. There are also a lot of logging roads, especially in Milan and Errol. Ive been down many of them in Errol myself, beautiful up there and if you can get out on some of the non maintained roads its very quiet too.

Are you staying at a hotel or renting a cabin up there?
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Moose Calf

I might add that please be very careful when driving on these 'unmarked' roads. Don't take advantage of the access by damaging the roads, dumping trash, cutting trees, etc. or there will be no more access. Not saying you're going to do any of this but just offering a bit of advice as a reminder. I know several landowners who are seriously considering blocking their roads because of abuse. Enjoy.
    Last edited by NHGuy; 01-03-2015 at 07:33 PM. Reason: correct misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by NHGuy View Post
    I might add that please be very careful when driving on these 'unmarked' roads. Don't take advantage of the access by damaging the roads, dumping trash, cutting trees, etc. or there will be no more access. Not saying you're going to do any of this but just offering a bit of advice as a reminder. I know several landowners who are seriously considering blocking their roads because of abuse. Enjoy.
    Ahh yes, a very good point! Many landowners are just one incident away from closing off their land so definitely tread lightly! In fact, if you see any trash along your journey stop and grab it before the landowner has to! We do that on the snowmobile trails.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Moose Calf

Hi guys, I did find one drivable logging road and took it to find a couple of moose, nothing to exciting.. I did find some tossed beer cans and stuff so I did grab them and throw them in a garbage bag in my truck.. I love the north country and me and the girlfriend are considering buy 5+ acres in the Colebrook or Pittsburg area for our own fun times.

We've also considered buying land in the North Country, we were looking for a piece of landlocked land that had a snowmobile trail on it. Mainly because it's cheaper and we enjoy snowmobiling but also because it would give us a road to get to it in the summer and a snowmobile trail to get access to it in the winter.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com