Untitled 1

Thread: Where to swim?

Cool Where to swim?

Hi everyone,

Im looking to bring my family to a swimming hole and wondering what some locals opinions are on the best ones? Looking for one with a spot to swim lay jump and swing. Please let me know any advice you may have. Thanks

Junior Moose

Re: Where to swim?

Local is relative, but if you're in Hudson/Pelham, there's Long Pond. It extends into Dracut MA, but has a public beach on the NH side.
    I haven't lived over there in about a year, so I can't comment on the cleanliness/clarity of the water at this time.

The Nashua River has a few spots some friends go to bridge jump and what-not I guess, but I'm not much help there, as I've never been.

There's a few spots in Lincoln along 112, which, you just have to be on the lookout for...they're pretty easy to spot if you take your time to look. The two that come to mind are the spot under the bridge, on the right side of 112 heading north, right next to the hotel (I don't know the name, I'm going by sights...hopefully someone else can help), and Lady's Bathtub, which is between the condo complex on the right side, right before you hit Loon.

There are a couple spots in the Conway Area, most famously Diana's Baths.
    There are waterfalls, and small pools the kids can swim in. There's usually a good amount of people there as it's a popular spot, so you might end up parking on the road, but it's not a big deal.

The Lower Falls on the Kanc are closed until November, but that's a good spot, as is the pool below the Covered Bridge.

You can swim at certain spots at most of the falls (ex.: swimming is allowed outside of 500ft from Sabbaday Falls) along the Kanc, so you'll have a nice sightseeing adventure, but you can't swim IN most of the falls.

If you're the hiking type, there's a five mile hike you can make to Thoreau Falls off the Zealand Falls trail, which has some neck deep (on a full grown adult) pools, and some small falls, atop one large fall. I would suggest a map for that hike, I've done it twice and it's quite fun, but quite long.

Hi,

What part of the state are you looking for? There are quite a few swimming holes in New Hampshire. One I just heard about was at Hancock Campground near camp site # 47. Hancock Campground is along the Kancamagus Highway.

One of the best swimming holes in the state, and the most popular is Lower Falls along the Kancamagus Highway. Unfortunately Lower Falls is closed until mid-November 2014.

Another favorite swimming hole is Diana's Baths in Bartlett NH.

Normally, some of the best NH swimming holes are in the area of a water fall. You can check our list of New Hampshire Water Falls.

Let me know what part of the state you are interested in and I will do some digging for you.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Last week I visited with my family Mount Chocorua. Might be there you can find something you're looking for.
    Last edited by DeliverSet; 07-09-2014 at 06:11 AM.

The Lower Falls at the base of the Kancamagus Highway is a premier spot now. The renovations and landscaping came out spectacular and now there's easy access, it's clean and an adventure for the entire family. The rocks are worn smooth so there are natural water slides, and there are clean bathroom facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by bridget View Post
    The Lower Falls at the base of the Kancamagus Highway is a premier spot now. The renovations and landscaping came out spectacular and now there's easy access, it's clean and an adventure for the entire family. The rocks are worn smooth so there are natural water slides, and there are clean bathroom facilities.
    I would agree with this. If you're looking for a nice place to swim and get outdoors then this is a good spot.

Quote Originally Posted by bridget View Post
    I would agree with this. If you're looking for a nice place to swim and get outdoors then this is a good spot.