Untitled 1

Thread: Campsites Status Due to Government Shutdown

Campsites Status Due to Government Shutdown

Are the campsites on the Kancamagus Highway now closed due to the government shutdown?

We were hoping to go camping at Blackberry or Jigger this weekend, but I wanted to make sure this government shutdown hasn't affected the campsites.

Re: Campsites Status Due to Government Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyryanwalsh View Post
    Are the campsites on the Kancamagus Highway now closed due to the government shutdown?

We were hoping to go camping at Blackberry or Jigger this weekend, but I wanted to make sure this government shutdown hasn't affected the campsites.
    The campgrounds on the Kancamagus Highway are open this weekend, just confirmed this with the Saco Ranger Station. Next week and weekend is unknown at this point due to the government shutdown.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

Hi,

I wanted to check back in on this thread. Two friends and I were planning on going camping at Hancock Campground in Lincoln, but figured that due to the gov. shutdown, it will be closed.

So two questions:
    1. Will it definitely be closed?
    2. If so, what would you recommend we do in place? We aren't necessarily looking for a family campground environment.

Would backcountry camping be a viable option, and do you have a recommendation?

I appreciate any input. Thanks a ton!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcarroll10 View Post
    Hi,

I wanted to check back in on this thread. Two friends and I were planning on going camping at Hancock Campground in Lincoln, but figured that due to the gov. shutdown, it will be closed.

So two questions:
    1. Will it definitely be closed?
    2. If so, what would you recommend we do in place? We aren't necessarily looking for a family campground environment.

Would backcountry camping be a viable option, and do you have a recommendation?

I appreciate any input. Thanks a ton!!

The government shutdown has closed the Ranger Stations. As far as the Kancamagus campgrounds... I know they are operated by a private company. We have not been to the Kancamagus since the shutdown so I cannot say with any certainty if the campgrounds on the Kancamagus are closed due to the government shutdown or not.

Here is a list of other NH Campgrounds if you want to research another campground in the area.

As far as backcountry camping... I would doubt the Kancamagus Highway itself is closed as i'm sure that would have been on the news so I would say that's a fairly good gamble.

When are you heading up to the Kanc? Would be interested in hearing any impacts the government shutdown has caused to the Kancamagus Hwy.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

It does appear, based on what it says on their website, that those campgrounds are closed. Huge bummer because we really like Hancock. It would seem that we might be forced into having to use a private campground. We found one in North Woodstock that looks decent. We are going this weekend.

Thanks for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by jcarroll10 View Post
    It does appear, based on what it says on their website, that those campgrounds are closed. Huge bummer because we really like Hancock. It would seem that we might be forced into having to use a private campground. We found one in North Woodstock that looks decent. We are going this weekend.

Thanks for the response!
    Good find! I have been checking the White Mountain National Forest website but I didn't see anything. I checked it after you posted and the site now has the following message:

"Due to the lapse in agency funding, the sale of all types of permits (i.e., recreation, firewood, forest products, mineral materials for example) are suspended, recreation.gov reservations are suspended, and all federally owned recreation sites are closed. All offices are closed. These services will be available once funding is restored.

Law enforcement, fire suppression, and other essential services will continue without interruption.

This web site will remain available for public safety announcements and updates such as for wildfire, floods, and so forth. We will attempt to make timely updates about public health and safety on these web pages as appropriate. We sincerely regret this inconvenience."

Strange that the government would close the campgrounds on the Kancamagus if they are run by private companies...
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com