Untitled 1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Moose sightings

  1. #1
    RobinC
    Guest

    Moose sightings

    I'll be staying in Portsmouth the weekend of Oct. 19th. What's the closest location to Portsmouth that moose are typically seen?

  2. #2
    Administrator NHTourGuide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Center Barnstead NH USA
    Posts
    1,027

    Re: Moose sightings

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I'll be staying in Portsmouth the weekend of Oct. 19th. What's the closest location to Portsmouth that moose are typically seen?
    Ingeneral, the further north you go, the better your chances of seeing a moose. There are areas that are more popular for seeing moose, like "Moose Alley" here: http://www.nhtourguide.com/triprepor..._nh_july07.htm

    A much closer place that we have seen moose is Rt. 302, Bear Notch Rd and Kancamagus Highway: http://www.kancamagushighway.com/

    Best times to see moose is just before dawn or around dusk. Be careful though, it is hard to see moose in the dark because their eyes do not reflect light like a deer will.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

  3. #3
    RobinC
    Guest

    Re: Moose sightings

    Okay-thank you. I've photographed moose in 4 states and would like to add NH to that list. Not professionally-just for fun. Since we're staying on the coast, I was just trying to figure out where we might be able to see some without driving 4 hours. Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Administrator NHTourGuide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Center Barnstead NH USA
    Posts
    1,027

    Re: Moose sightings

    Sounds like fun! We like heading out to find moose to take photos of also. It can be along drive if you want to guarantee yourself a moose sighting though.

    Here are a few pics I took: http://www.nhtourguide.com/photogallery/wildlife.htm

    The moose and baby photo I took was on Rt. 302 as was the bear photos. The mother moose chased me that day. It was a bit scary.

    The moose in the field was from Stewartstown NH. I heard afterwards she was injured.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

  5. #5
    RobinC
    Guest

    Re: Moose sightings

    I got pictures of a cow moose and calf in Colorado, from a distance and up close in the parking lot of a lodge at Grand Teton Natl. Park. Not good to get too close to a mother and her young. However, the one at Grand Teton seemed to know the parking lot, around people was safe for her calf due to a grizzly getting a calf the week prior. Not sure if that human logic applied, but that's what we were thinking. Came across a black bear and her cubs once, just driving down the road at Glacier Natl. Park and the mother bear reared up and clawed the air while snarling as we drove by. Wouldn't want to have been on foot at that time.

    Thanks again. I checked your link to the Kancamagus Highway and it looks like a wonderful day trip for us!

  6. #6
    Administrator NHTourGuide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Center Barnstead NH USA
    Posts
    1,027

    Re: Moose sightings

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I got pictures of a cow moose and calf in Colorado, from a distance and up close in the parking lot of a lodge at Grand Teton Natl. Park. Not good to get too close to a mother and her young. However, the one at Grand Teton seemed to know the parking lot, around people was safe for her calf due to a grizzly getting a calf the week prior. Not sure if that human logic applied, but that's what we were thinking. Came across a black bear and her cubs once, just driving down the road at Glacier Natl. Park and the mother bear reared up and clawed the air while snarling as we drove by. Wouldn't want to have been on foot at that time.

    Thanks again. I checked your link to the Kancamagus Highway and it looks like a wonderful day trip for us!
    Ya, I knew getting too close to a calf with the mother was probably a bad idea but I inched closer anyway trying to get a good pic as they were down in a ditch on the side of the road. I took that one last step when she let me know I was too close. I won't be doing that again any time soon.

    Snarling black bears? No thanks! When we got the photo of the bear with her cubs I stayed in the truck and shot from the window. I feared one of the cubs would get curious and walk towards me, in turn I would get the Freddy Kruegar slap on the face.

    I can't imagine a grizzly bear attacking a moose. That must have been quite the scene for anyone who witnessed that. I was impressed by an Eagle I saw taking a baby loon from the lake.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

  7. #7
    RobinC
    Guest

    Re: Moose sightings

    From what I understand the grizzly got a moose calf. I got a nice shot of a grizzly through the windshield of our rental van on that trip. It crossed the road in the park at Grand Teton, right in front of our van. I can say I was within 12-15' of a grizzly, but don't care to press my luck on that type of encounter again.

  8. #8
    Administrator NHTourGuide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Center Barnstead NH USA
    Posts
    1,027

    Re: Moose sightings

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    From what I understand the grizzly got a moose calf. I got a nice shot of a grizzly through the windshield of our rental van on that trip. It crossed the road in the park at Grand Teton, right in front of our van. I can say I was within 12-15' of a grizzly, but don't care to press my luck on that type of encounter again.
    Wow, you wouldn't catch me that close to a grizzly. At least it was a rental van in case the bear decided to get mean.
    Matt Goodwin
    Admin
    NHTourGuide.com

  9. #9

    Re: Moose sightings

    The NH tourism page says Moose Alley is, "The last 12 miles of Rt. 3 in Pittsburg, NH is Moose Alley." Is this the 12 miles leading into Pittsburgh (between Stewartstown and Pittsburgh) or north of Pittsburgh on Rt,. 3 going toward The Glen? Thanks!

  10. #10
    Junior Moose CatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Alton, NH
    Posts
    69

    Re: Moose sightings

    Quote Originally Posted by jmalonex2 View Post
    The NH tourism page says Moose Alley is, "The last 12 miles of Rt. 3 in Pittsburg, NH is Moose Alley." Is this the 12 miles leading into Pittsburgh (between Stewartstown and Pittsburgh) or north of Pittsburgh on Rt,. 3 going toward The Glen? Thanks!
    Moose Alley is just south of the Canadian Border on Rt. 3 in New Hampshire. Once you get up into Pittsburg NH you will see a sign that says "Active Moose Population" that is where you want to go to see moose. It is just north of First Connecticut Lake. You will see muddy places on the roadsides. These muddy areas are from the moose that come there to eat the vegetation on the roadside.

    The best time to see moose on Moose Alley is just before dawn from my experience. You can also go around dusk. I have seen moose there all times of the day though.

    Happy Moose Watchin!
    Lisa
    Life IS a bowl of cherries, I don't care what your mother said!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •